A&H

Refereeing as a 16 year old.

Alex_C

I’m going to be 16 in the comings days and I’d like to take the SFA Online Course as after years of waiting, I’ll finally be at the minimum age.

When I complete the course and any exams etc., how likely/often would someone my age typically get to ref a game?

Also, what would refereeing at my age be like? Would I be susceptible to more abuse etc. due to my age?

A&H International
I’m not sure how it works in Scotland, but as a 16 year old now refereeing adults football, I find that largely people are quite pleased to see a younger official around, although obviously there is the odd comment about age and inexperience etc, but you should be fine.

I’m going to be 16 in the comings days and I’d like to take the SFA Online Course as after years of waiting, I’ll finally be at the minimum age.

When I complete the course and any exams etc., how likely/often would someone my age typically get to ref a game?

Also, what would refereeing at my age be like? Would I be susceptible to more abuse etc. due to my age?
Just remember that until you are 18, any abuse you get from adults would be considered a safeguarding issue in addition to the fact it's abuse anyway.

Happy birthday in advance, and hope you enjoy the course. That you've joined here already indicates some forethought and dedication. This is a good place to be for questions, advice, mates and support wherever you're from and largely represents football as a whole - bit of banter, lots of companionship, support, gentle ribbing, factual advice and clarity, tips and tricks, and general nonsense :D

Youth football varies wildly, but for the vast majority of it - LOTS of games to do and - due to the FA Respect programme - abuse is very minimal, but does happen as it does all the way up and down the footballing ladder cos humans are human. You could easily do two, if not three, games a weekend if physically (and mentally) fit and want to do so. Some do, some don't, personal preference. Maybe adding in midweek as you progress and doors open up for you.

Welcome, enjoy, stick around, and ask questions! (and use the search function)

Good luck with it all.

Definitely start with a very low age group like U12 or something and move up the ages as you grow in confidence, this might happen before you know it or maybe you'll spend the whole season on U12s. Don't rush and make sure you're only doing what you enjoy otherwise you'll end up quitting if that's U12 great, if its U18 or OA good luck

I would go to the classes rather than online... Yes it takes 13 odd weeks but you learn so much more, are in constant contact with other more experienced referees that will be available to explain more and they will answer any questions in depth plus you will be among other potential refs in your age group. You won't be thrown into any big games and there are lots of youth leagues to go into such as 7x7 and 9x9 and U13s. The sad fact is that you will be open to abuse no matter what. You just need to try and let it wash over you (4 games in for me and I am still learning to do this). Parents are apparently your biggest problem in these age groups, but the coaches should help you sort them out if they go too far - you're not responsible for the parents (or their reactions) at all.

Back