A&H

Refereeing and glasses....

Padfoot

The Persecuted One
Just noticed lately that there seems to a fair few pictures of members who wear glasses.

Question is...do you referee in them?

And what, if any, response does it provoke from the players?

The Referee Store
Contact lenses are a wonderful thing!!

Bear in mind that any referee wearing glasses during a match needs to wear sports glasses exactly the same as players.

I have never worn my glasses to referee. Never liked the things and rarely wear them outside of the house.

Wear mine at parks level, contacts at FA and league levels.

Part of team talk pre game is that I have them on, I know i have them on, not left them at home and I know that they work, so lets leave any comments there. This normally gets a giggle.

After that if anyone make any remarks it goes as dissent - they've had their warning.

League level - it's not worth the hastle so contcts it is.

Wear mine at parks level, contacts at FA and league levels.

Part of team talk pre game is that I have them on, I know i have them on, not left them at home and I know that they work, so lets leave any comments there. This normally gets a giggle.

After that if anyone make any remarks it goes as dissent - they've had their warning.

League level - it's not worth the hastle so contcts it is.

Why don't you just wear contacts for Sunday leagues?

Wore them for a season or two - got up to L6 wearing them ... never had a problem with dissent - some 'humourous' comments that were no problem ... rain is the main reason I went to contacts - in the odd game I couldn't see a thing without constantly removing and wiping with a tissue

Humorous stories eh? I have a couple.

I had a player last season shout "you need fudging glasses ref?" I know, that's what the optician said! Lemon. That left him confused.

Another one: "your fudging blind ref!" I may be fudging blind but I am certainly not fudging deaf! Lemon.

I wear glasses at the minute, but I am working with someone at the opticians to try and get contacts ok but my eyes don't want to know to be honest

Took me a while to get used to wearing contacts, but once you get the nack its dead easy. Don't wear them very often now mind, mainly coz I work stupid hours and don't like having them in for too long, so wear the specs more often than not.

Never worn glasses for reffing though, contacts all the way!!

And then when a mistake is made, you go blind and then can't referee again..........
Do you have statistical support for your positive outlook there Ryan?

I have for my viewpoint. 1 in 5 million people suffer catastrophic loss of vision as a result of a combination of unusual factors during the modern procedure.

A mate of mine had the procedure done. They buggered up one of his eyes by having the plan (or whatever the hell it is the call it they work to when zapping your eyes) backwards and lazering the left eye with the right eyes plan. He got a pretty penny in compensation and they sorted the eye out for the most part.

He seems fine now. Money probably helped ease his pain a little.

A mate of mine had the procedure done. They buggered up one of his eyes by having the plan (or whatever the hell it is the call it they work to when zapping your eyes) backwards and lazering the left eye with the right eyes plan. He got a pretty penny in compensation and they sorted the eye out for the most part.

He seems fine now. Money probably helped ease his pain a little.
Not blind though eh SM? And richer too :)

I'm looking into the possibility of laser eye surgery in the near future. Until then, I am still waiting for sports glasses (well, money to buy them, anyway, as they don't come cheap!!).

Why don't you just wear contacts for Sunday leagues?
Around London a lot of the Sunday leagues are a bit more vocal and physical, and more often its me against 22 other football officianardos.

Found that keeping them on tends to reduce the nipping back chat as they effectively think that are on a warning already (words of more than one manager) thus games seem to flow with less stoppages for numpties. Some have mentioned that it takes balls to wear galsses when reffing as you are effectivly making the statement that my eyeseight is not perfect, and some might want to pick on this as a negative. Other side to it is though, I wear glasses cos my eyes ain't perfect, without them I wouldn't have caught your offside - what's your excuse for being there?

Also lazyness - after most of the week in them, a blurry Sunday morning is not improved by sticking my finger in my eye.

Wearing glasses also enables me to try have a bit more of a laugh with players ... most will laugh (or fake a laugh!) if I refer to having 4 eyes at a corner so I'll be able to see any pushing / shoving

Big subject for me this.... wore glasses for all refereeing up to this point. Now wear contacts. As mentioned above it makes it a lot easier in the rain and won't have any eyesight related comments from now on :)

Back