A&H

Referee Secretaries

kje2198

Hi all,

I have recently completed my 5 games after my ref course (just awaiting tick over from trainee to Level 7). What I am struggling with at the moment is getting in contact with ref secretaries for different league. My CFA has sent out contact details for all the leagues advising us to message the leagues now to get in early for next season, at this point I have not had any success or even response. Do I put it down to being in the close season and volunteers that ref secs usually are and give it a month or so, or do I get into with the CFA to further guide on this?

Thanks

A&H International
From personal experience most I know tend to have a bit of down time in June and burst back in to life at the start of July, if you haven’t heard anything by mid July then contact them again and then you CFA if you still hear nothing.

I’m sure they’ll all be in touch, bear in mind most grassroots leagues won’t start till late August, start of September there is plenty of time.

Ste

Hi all,

I have recently completed my 5 games after my ref course (just awaiting tick over from trainee to Level 7). What I am struggling with at the moment is getting in contact with ref secretaries for different league. My CFA has sent out contact details for all the leagues advising us to message the leagues now to get in early for next season, at this point I have not had any success or even response. Do I put it down to being in the close season and volunteers that ref secs usually are and give it a month or so, or do I get into with the CFA to further guide on this?

Thanks
It will be to some degree a close season issue/holidays, and there is plenty of time to get a league.
In the absence of an e-mail reply, a phone call or text may work.
Patience😁

It will be to some degree a close season issue/holidays, and there is plenty of time to get a league.
In the absence of an e-mail reply, a phone call or text may work.
Patience😁
I’m such a time freak which I suppose isn’t always the worse thing. Need to know when and where/ all things sorted plenty of time ahead just for piece of mind 😂. Will try to keep the patience

I know what you mean, I’m very similar but I’ve learnt over the last few years to just be calm and things will happen at the right times.

Best bit of advice I was given as a new ref was to stay on the ref secretary’s good side, when they ask for something get it to them quickly and communicate well throughout and you’ll have no problems and they’ll look after you. Ref secretaries love referees who have good comms, good admin and good availability, sounds like you’ll tick those boxes so will have nothing to worry about!

Enjoy the summer, the new season and all that it brings will be on us soon don’t worry about that!!

Ste

As a RefsSec I would do very little around this time of year, everyone needs down time, especially volunteers who usually also have full time paid jobs elsewhere. During the season I'd generally reply to an email around a day, this time of year you might go weeks without getting a reply.

As a current Ref Sec, all I would say is be patient. As stated above, this is the first chance we get to have a little bit of respite, and come down from the previous season before we start it up again. Typically it’s early July when I really get back in to it.

Best bit of advice I was given as a new ref was to stay on the ref secretary’s good side, when they ask for something get it to them quickly and communicate well throughout and you’ll have no problems and they’ll look after you. Ref secretaries love referees who have good comms, good admin and good availability, sounds like you’ll tick those boxes so will have nothing to worry about!
I absolutely echo this. We ref secs love good communication and admin - you seriously don’t realise how much easier it makes life for us!

All the best for next season.

I'm on 4 league, 2 have reached out this week.

2 I'm still waiting for them to reach out for this year's registration.

I'm not bothered. Enjoying the break myself.

Hi all,

Thanks
What area are you in? If you happen to be in Bristol let me know and I am the assistant referee secretary for 2 local leagues

Back