A&H

Referee Pre Match Checks (sorry for essay)

MattyL7

Level 7 Referee
Hey guys.

I am currently completing my referee course (exam in 2 weeks). As part of my development I agreed to be the Club Assitant for a local team that I have been training with (U18).

On Sunday, I decided to approach the game as if I was a neutral AR as such I turned up 1 hour before KO, found out which pitch the match was being played on etc.

When I went out to do a quick inspection the home team manager and assistant where fastening goal nets. I asked them has the referee arrived yet. (Hopeing I could do the inspection with him for experience).

They replied: "Oh he usually rolls up about quarter past". (15 mins before KO????)

I thought that was strange, but did the pitch inspection anyway. The FOP was in great shape considering the weather but there was NO PENALTY MARK at either end.

Again I went to the home team manager and asked, "When were the lines painted because there is no penalty marks?", he simply replied "That doesn't matter, we never get any penalties." He could see I didn't find it funny so said "I will see what I can do".

Referee turns up at 10:15, away team manager (my team) says to me "Thats the ref that made us play on the ice the other week." Great!!

I go over to ref, introduce myself. All I get is "You know offside right?"
I say "Yes, anything else? Fouls, misconduct leave to you?"
"Yes" he replys.

5 minutes later the game kicks off. (NO PITCH INSPECTION, NO PLAYER EQUIPMENT CHECKS)

Sorry for the essay but I was wondering if this is normal for Sunday mornings, as I play Saturday and haven't had this before.

Thanks

Matty

The Referee Store
some referees are like this and it's really a crying shame as what they do affects us all! Do you attend an RA? i would personally take this up with someone there and see if you can get some help with this from them as they may know this referee.

best thing you can do in this situation is learn what not to do from them.

Exactly what Arran say's. Not much you can do, and it tends to be that this kind of referee ("last weeks ref") outnumber and make it a lot harder for the referees who try and do it as it should be. Like Arran say's, mark it down as something not to do. :)

Just remember: you're the assistant referee and it's his game. You take your directions from the referee and do as you're told and if that doesn't work, then hopefully he'll reflect on how to do it better next time -- although this fella likely won't be doing much reflecting on anything. When you're in the middle, don't compromise your professionalism because of what you've seen around you but do remember, to a degree, what you're refereeing. From personal experience, going into an over-35 match and expecting the organization and dedication you get out of a premiership division match is going to both make you look foolish and get you frustrated before you even begin.

Sadly it can be common, you do get some like it and I'll sadly stereotype here, I have found it to be the older ones who are just turning up for the pocket money and don't take as serious anymore I.e. no fitness and stand in the centre circle types. As stated you should look at him and decide that you never want to be like that. Remember it takes second to form a first impression and ages to alter it so if you're professional in your approach to the pre match stuff then it will show the teams your here to ref the game not just something to do on a Saturday.

Back