A&H

referee assault - 3 game ban only

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
My assistant today told me he was assaulted by a player after he carded him for a tackle.

It was a 2 handed push to the chest which made him go back a yard or so.

Player was found guilty of VC and a 3 game ban. No hearing or appeal.

I thought 3 games would be right for assault on a player but why the same for a referee assault? I thought that was more serious.

The Referee Store
My assistant today told me he was assaulted by a player after he carded him for a tackle.

It was a 2 handed push to the chest which made him go back a yard or so.

Player was found guilty of VC and a 3 game ban. No hearing or appeal.

I thought 3 games would be right for assault on a player but why the same for a referee assault? I thought that was more serious.
That's why it needs to be enshrined in Law. As it stands, I don't know of any basis on which the punishment could be increased

That isn't right, it is impossible for a player to be banned for 3 games for assault on a match official. The offences in this space are (from the FA disciplinary handbook) …

96 The three categories of offence against Match Officials are as follows:

96.1 Threatening behaviour: words or action that cause the Match Official to believe that they are being threatened;

96.2 Physical contact or attempted physical contact : examples include but are not limited to: pushing the Match Official, pulling the Match Official (or their clothing or equipment), barging or kicking the ball at a Match Official (causing no injury) and/or attempting to make physical contact with the Match Official (for example, attempting to strike, kick, butt, barge or kick the ball at the Match Official); and

96.3 Assault : acting in a manner which results in an injury to the Match Official. This includes spitting at the Match Official (whether it connects or not).

The offence mentioned by the referee undoubtedly falls under 96.2, and the sanction for that is a minimum suspension of 112 days, as below. Even if they did it under 96.1 that carries a minimum suspension of 56 days.

Physical contact or attempted physical contact:

101.3 suspension from all football activities for a period of 182 days, with a mandatory minimum of 112 days from all football and football activity.

101.4 a fine of up to £150.

At a guess I would say the 3 game ban was for his sending off that led to him pushing the referee, but he either wasn't charged for assault due to the report not being clear, or there being a hearing but the referee couldn't or wouldn't appear. I've heard of referees submitting a standard WGS send off report and putting details of extraordinary incidents in the comments field, that won't trigger a separate charge and they must raise a standalone extraordinary incident on WGS.

I contacted the ref and the player was being cautioned for a foul only. He put through two separate reports.

I contacted the ref and the player was being cautioned for a foul only. He put through two separate reports.

Sometimes CFA can issue one sanction quicker than the other. It may be that the second report is being corroborated before sanction being issued?..

So was the player cautioned for the foul and sent off for the push, or did they caution for the for and only submit an extraordinary report for the push.

As RustyRef has posted the punishments which must be handed out, it sounds like your colleague is either confused about has happened, or the player was found not guilty of pushing him and was banned for something else

This is odd. Has he followed up if his report was received? The only way I can even begin to understand this outcome is if a hearing decided insufficient evidence - but he would have been involved.

Nb The following link is for step 5 and below but for those who have never seen it shows the what CFAs look at for discipline. Page 30 has a table of sanction ranges per offence https://book.flipboxapp.net/client/essential-information#page/30

It could also be a case of the CFA, the league, or in my case the association being... hopeless. I really can't find a better word for it. There was a time that my local football association (equivalent to your CFA) received the send off reports and forwarded them straight to the clubs to determine any suspensions (Puting the fox in charge of the henhouse). I don't know about there but here in Australia a lot of 'administrators' worry a lot more about money than they do about the game and try to cut corner whenever they can.

It could also be a case of the CFA, the league, or in my case the association being... hopeless. I really can't find a better word for it. There was a time that my local football association (equivalent to your CFA) received the send off reports and forwarded them straight to the clubs to determine any suspensions (Puting the fox in charge of the henhouse). I don't know about there but here in Australia a lot of 'administrators' worry a lot more about money than they do about the game and try to cut corner whenever they can.

As someone who runs a League I'll just point out that League's powers regarding disciplinary are effectively non existent nowadays and all disciplinary is run through County. I can only presume that someone at County hasn't followed through or something has gone awry. Worth a call to find out.

I would also add that the best run clubs that I know of run their internal discipline and have been known to kick certain players out. If only that was the norm...

As someone who runs a League I'll just point out that League's powers regarding disciplinary are effectively non existent nowadays and all disciplinary is run through County. I can only presume that someone at County hasn't followed through or something has gone awry. Worth a call to find out.

I would also add that the best run clubs that I know of run their internal discipline and have been known to kick certain players out. If only that was the norm...
Don't get me wrong. There are more good football organisations than bad ones. But as I said , there are those who forget protecting the game should be one of their higher priorities.

Don't get me wrong. There are more good football organisations than bad ones. But as I said , there are those who forget protecting the game should be one of their higher priorities.

Oh I wasn't. :) Once upon a time Leagues must have had more powers and there still seems to be a perception in football that they are able to control x, y and z however it's quite the reverse unfortunately. We try to encourage good treatment of refs - myself being one of them. Unfortunately the FA dictate a level of tolerance towards bad behaviour. I have often wondered what would happen if they took a hard line and expelled for life the 5% (as a guess) that have no idea how to behave properly to a referee.

Reactions: one
Back