Would you do it?

• Yes

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
easier said than done really though - unless you're a total masochist it's very difficult to enjoy abuse from players/fans

i think what Steve is saying is that it's nice when you know you have given the right decision and the players/fans can see that. in the scenario he describes, the ref has undermined him by giving the decision when he had a better view.

i had one on sunday where the play was 50 yards away from me and although it was clear the ball had gone out i didn't know who it had come off. i shook my head at the ref to indicate that i didn't know, and allowed him to make the call on which way to award the throw.

The Referee Store
From that distance away that would likely be a decision the ref should make anyway.

A good ref (used to NARs also) will tell you how to react if you see the ball is out, but don't know whos throw it is. Ordinarily it's flag straight up to indicate ball is out and keep it there to indicate to the ref that you dont know which direction to give the throw, eye contact, follow the refs signal. The importance of the pre-match speech from the ref to his assistants!

a very good point monkey, although the ball ended up in the stingys so my flag wasn't altogether necessary in determining that it was out of play :D

I suspect it's a welsh thing. Abbreviation of stinging nettles = stingies! :D

Why would the referee ever want to overrule the AR on ball in/out of play unless the ref happens to be on the line himself?

Interesting the argument on credibility vs getting the decision right, yet prioritising credibility is why the AR always mirrors the ref's signal if he signals first no matter how bad a decision it is :)

clue in the the title referee, assistant referee. assistant makes a clear mistake referee wrongly supports them referee gets the grief, i dont see the problem with ref overruling a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back