A&H

Red for OFFINABUS

The Referee Store
A feisty OA midfield player once walked past me and quietly said "you wouldn't be such a big man if I saw you out on a Saturday night in town",,,,, It took a few seconds for it to sink in.... I stopped play and dismissed him as I took it as a threat!! No-one else heard it, they were all baffled including the manager, Only one decision to make... Well done to the referee above....

before I watched the clip I imagined it being over a huge game changing decision like, erm, a throw...

I was not surprised to see this being the case.

I suppose the talking point for us though is, are we ok with how it was handled, do we prefer a flag up (even with comms yes) or do we want the ref going over to chat to AR first (again, yes, even with comms)
or, is it possible that the ref had heard whatever was said and just dealt with it

the players reaction is that of "well I say things like that every week and have never been sent off"..... which sums up the sorry state of players attitude to officials.

An absolute rarity in professional football.
I don't know for sure, but the player runs back facing the assistant and the assistant immediately gets on comms, can only be something he said.
https://streamable.com/y5ahl
One can only assume the comment was an unimaginable sequence of offensive, insulting and abusive expletives to justify a dismissal

before I watched the clip I imagined it being over a huge game changing decision like, erm, a throw...

I suppose the talking point for us though is, are we ok with how it was handled, do we prefer a flag up (even with comms yes) or do we want the ref going over to chat to AR first (again, yes, even with comms)
or, is it possible that the ref had heard whatever was said and just dealt with it

the players reaction is that of "well I say things like that every week and have never been sent off"..... which sums up the sorry state of players attitude to officials.
I think a chat with the assistant would have made it more obvious, everyone was confused. You could see the ref meandering around whilst the assistant was telling him who it was over comms. Run over there, quick chat, straight to player, bang-gone. Fonte's face is priceless, I love videos like this when players think they can say whatever they like to officials and then are so shocked that they are dealt with properly - WE NEED MORE.

I think a chat with the assistant would have made it more obvious, everyone was confused. You could see the ref meandering around whilst the assistant was telling him who it was over comms. Run over there, quick chat, straight to player, bang-gone. Fonte's face is priceless, I love videos like this when players think they can say whatever they like to officials and then are so shocked that they are dealt with properly - WE NEED MORE.

yes am in that camp too here, I would have liked to see a face to face chat and if I was ref or AR that's what i would be aiming for here too, sells the decision, makes it credible and every other buzz word we have been spoon fed.
Careful for newer guys working with ARs, if am AR there, its "number 5, red card, offensive, restart with the original throw, there he is on the 18 yard line".
NOT, "he said this and this and I shouted on him to shut up but he continued" and so on....
same as ref, unless am 100% I have better grasp of the situation than the AR could, am not interested in who said what to who and why, i just want to know who he is, what am doing about it, where he is (if am not clued up enough to already know) and how am restarting the game....

I've noticed more and more at the top 2 levels that ARs are flagging less and less. Like you, can only assume that they have been directed to use the comms.

One can only assume the comment was an unimaginable sequence of offensive, insulting and abusive expletives to justify a dismissal
Why would I agine that? Doesn't it just have to be offensive?

A rarity in top flight though. And I think the reason the player was baffled was "I've been doing this all season every season. What's different now?"

Why would I agine that? Doesn't it just have to be offensive?

A rarity in top flight though. And I think the reason the player was baffled was "I've been doing this all season every season. What's different now?"
I was sarcastically pointing out that a player would have to say something fairly dreadful in top flight football, to draw a straight red card

Back