The Ref Stop

Recording cautions etc…

2touch

Level 7 Referee
Questions for the more experienced refs on here: how do you record cautions and goals etc…?

I’ve heard some people talking about writing on cards? What do you use for that?

If you write on cards is that just for bookings? Do you write goals or any other events in the book?

Final question: do you record subs? It’s always rolling subs for me so is there any point?

Thanks in advance for answering any of the above and any other pearls of wisdom you might want to share.

The Ref Stop
I use this

Matchcard 1

I use every section of it except return substitutes. Not only no point recording return substitutes but also not practical. There is a recent thread discussion on this. The back of it is blank and I use it for quick notes, eg when there is send off, pen shoot-out, discrepancies in Jersey numbers etc.

Note that we only record jersey numbers for bookings in Australia.

When it comes to writing on cards, there are 3 options; actual write on cards, stick some masking tape or sticky note to a card, or purchase the write on skins. They can be purchased on the ref stop site (and others)

If you’re just starting out at grassroots, there’s a good chance you won’t have team sheets. If you don’t, I’d go for notebook option. Plus, write on cards can sometimes get you into bad habits.

How you do your admin is down to you. But generally you would write down any bookings, along with the score.

When it comes to rolling subs, I actually can’t remember how I used to manage these. So I’ll let someone else answer that one!

Questions for the more experienced refs on here: how do you record cautions and goals etc…?
Depends on level.
Assuming you are ok your own: notebook for score etc.
Depending on team sheets I will use my card just noting number, time and offence otherwise it 100% notebook
I’ve heard some people talking about writing on cards? What do you use for that?
This only really works when you have reliable team sheets to refer number recorded to
If you write on cards is that just for bookings? Do you write goals or any other events in the book?
Yes, everything else in notebook.
Final question: do you record subs? It’s always rolling subs for me so is there any point?
You need to record any subs that come on in case of queries around eligibility (cup comps, senior players playing down and junior players having played up to seniors)
Thanks in advance for answering any of the above and any other pearls of wisdom you might want to share.
I would work work out a process that works for you and your games and stick to it

Personally, it changes per competition and whether I have NARs exactly what I write down, but I do also use RefSix which I leave to the timekeeping and times of incidents.

(Happy to go into it for various matches)

What I will recommend (for all) however is that with return substitutions: note the shirt numbers of those who are starting on the bench, and mark them as they come on. This is to identify unused substitutes in case of future eligibility.

I think the best advice I got when completing the ref course is do 'everything by the book' (notebook).

I think until you get to a level where you have reliable team sheets, your admin needs to be 100% accurate.

This means first name and surname, in the event you have a James Smith, John Smith and Joe Smith..., their number, the caution code and time. Later that evening when you're putting in your match report and you've only written J.Smith, I doubt you'll have any willing people to help you identify the culprit and what the caution was for.

Once you get your admin down to a fine art, you can start experimenting with write on cards etc. but if you're reffing Level 7 games, i'd stick with the notebook and match card.

I use these for what it's worth - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256403853249 (50 sheets are covered by 3% of a match fee).

As others have said, subs are really important for eligibility reasons, but don't record returning subs (as I learnt this week from this fine forum).

Back