A&H

Reactions to Oliver vs Taylor from England?

…I genuinely thought it was out as a choking hazard and because of the compound risk in a tongue swallow… but I’m ready to be educated…?

Here no one chews in-game. And in hobby leagues we often have to remind some of the more relaxed gents to remove their chewing tobacco!

The Referee Store
…I genuinely thought it was out as a choking hazard and because of the compound risk in a tongue swallow… but I’m ready to be educated…?

Here no one chews in-game. And in hobby leagues we often have to remind some of the more relaxed gents to remove their chewing tobacco!
Out here in NL we really don't care about gum. In fact, I've played with gum myself adn I've seen loads of pro players do so as well. Nothing in the laws state that it can't be done, but can see the angle for safety as well. Never thought of it

It happens in most sports. Very common in American sports obviously. Cricket also, particularly by fielding teams pre covid to produce saliva for shining one side of the ball (if you're not a cricket fan, don't ask!).

In UK Sunday League players will chew gum often to take the taste away of the cigarette they've smoked before the gane or at half time. Or because their mouth tastes of 12 pints of Stella and a donner kebab from the night before.

Alot of people chew gum at top level sport to keep their mind occupied on things other than the pressures they're under.

I've never known a ref tell a player to take their gum out and I played comfortably over 1000 games in my lifetime (and currently on 280 games as a ref). It would be a surprise if anyone did and rule #1 for me as a ref is no surprises! :)

Last edited:
I honestly don't have any issue with chewing gum. I often do that during my games. Helps keep my mouth from going dry, which can happen when I'm running a lot.

I've seen three completely different lists of ARs, so no idea which one is correct. Not sure if FIFA put anything out officially.

Ramos has the other semi

Leaves Taylor, marciniak and makkelie for the final?
In theory, discounting the SF officials it's out of Al-Jassim, Claus, Elfath, Ghorbal, Makkelie, Marciniak, Sampaio, and Taylor.

Practically, I don't see Al-Jassim, Claus or Ghorbal getting it as they've not had any knockout middles (although neither have Makkelie or Taylor...), and Elfath wouldn't be able to referee Morocco.

So potentially it could be between Marciniak and Sampaio!

In theory, discounting the SF officials it's out of Al-Jassim, Claus, Elfath, Ghorbal, Makkelie, Marciniak, Sampaio, and Taylor.

Practically, I don't see Al-Jassim, Claus or Ghorbal getting it as they've not had any knockout middles (although neither have Makkelie or Taylor...), and Elfath wouldn't be able to referee Morocco.

So potentially it could be between Marciniak and Sampaio!
Yeah I'm discounting most of those...giving it to sampaio would be the biggest slap in the face to any of the Europeans left there (and some of those whove gone already)

Although I'd like to see Makkelie or Taylor in the middle for the Final, my money would be on Makkelie in the middle for the 3rd place playoff, with Taylor as 4O, and Marciniak in the middle for the Final, with Elfath as 4O. If Morocco get to the Final, then switch Makkelie and Elfath.

Back