A&H

RDO's

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
I have discovered 2 of my old County FAs have axed the role of RDO to save money.

Does developing and having a specific contact in the CFA office not have any importance anymore?

Just another sign of our lack of importance in the scheme of things.

The Referee Store
I have discovered 2 of my old County FAs have axed the role of RDO to save money.

Does developing and having a specific contact in the CFA office not have any importance anymore?

Just another sign of our lack of importance in the scheme of things.
The writing was on the wall when they placed RDOs under the control of the Football Development team at my CFA. In fact the writing is on the wall for the County FAs themselves (except perhaps for those who have incorporated as Limited Companies who will have to follow a different route to extinction). Regionalisation of County FAs is the next legitimate step with a proper team looking after each branch of football.

The writing was on the wall when they placed RDOs under the control of the Football Development team at my CFA. In fact the writing is on the wall for the County FAs themselves (except perhaps for those who have incorporated as Limited Companies who will have to follow a different route to extinction). Regionalisation of County FAs is the next legitimate step with a proper team looking after each branch of football.
I've heard that there will be 8 "Super CFAs" in the future to cover the whole of England.

Have you heard anything similar?

With regard to my OP referees are being treated as totally unimportant. I suppose apart from our registration fees we don't make the CFA any money (bar the cards we show). A sad indictment of what's going on at grass roots.

The writing was on the wall when they placed RDOs under the control of the Football Development team at my CFA. In fact the writing is on the wall for the County FAs themselves (except perhaps for those who have incorporated as Limited Companies who will have to follow a different route to extinction). Regionalisation of County FAs is the next legitimate step with a proper team looking after ea⁷ch branch of football.

The RDO of a previous County of mine left the role after many years due to differences of opinions in the role going forward. Perhaps this is why

In Cheshire we still have District FAs who report to County. There were 9 districts but now have merged with others to the current 3 districts. We used to be allowed to run our own referee courses and training but realistically, all we do now is run district cup competitions. I fear the District FAs will be phased out sooner rather than later.

In Cheshire we still have District FAs who report to County. There were 9 districts but now have merged with others to the current 3 districts. We used to be allowed to run our own referee courses and training but realistically, all we do now is run district cup competitions. I fear the District FAs will be phased out sooner rather than later.
West Riding also had their own Districts - 13 IIRC but they started looking at mergers too. I used to run one of the District FAs. I also know that's how many of the local RAs have disappeared - through merger. The County RA folded in the last 12 months.
I've heard that there will be 8 "Super CFAs" in the future to cover the whole of England.

Have you heard anything similar?

With regard to my OP referees are being treated as totally unimportant. I suppose apart from our registration fees we don't make the CFA any money (bar the cards we show). A sad indictment of what's going on at grass roots.
I'm not involved in football in any shape or form. I have very few contacts with former colleagues, even less with the County FA. I had a disagreement with the Football Development Manager after he said he wanted to keep my records on file in case I ever returned to refereeing. When I listed the reasons I wouldn't, including the lack of recognition for the volunteer workforce, other than the payment of a paltry fee, he stopped contacting me. That's before I got anywhere near his GDPR breach by refusing to remove my details.

London FA had two dedicated RDOs until 2016, they were both made redundant in 2016 and replaced with a Workforce Development Officer. It has now gone full circle and a dedicated RDO was reintroduced last year.

Must admit it seems odd for me from across the border to see RDO's being removed.

Who's responsible for the development of new referees and the identification of talent at a local and regional level then? :hmmm:

My RDO left the season after I qualified. May have been pure coincidence. Stress related condition
Else he went insane after explaining the Sin Bin concept to the 100th audience. Shame only those on the Promotion Scheme took a ha'p'orth of notice

Last edited:
Back