A&H

Open Age Racial?

Very different thing hullref, very different thing (ageism and racism)
But is it SM ? when a player insults another player or official or spectator ! pick up Big Ears at the back post ? you mark the fat no 10 ? who was marking ginger ? get on the bloke with the sqinty eye ? (that's just wat I used to get :D)

All offensive to person its aimed at its a question of where we draw the line ! Very difficult subject I agree

The Referee Store
Nonsense @SM. You can be abused about age or race. Both are abuse. You can be discriminated by age or race. Both are discrimination. Abuse is abuse and whether about age race sex weight looks disability etc etc it is absolutely wrong. One isn't worse than the other. They are all totally unnaceptable.

The motto I live by with racism is this (excuse the turn of phrase):

If you're a c**t, you're a c**t, be it black white or brown

Essentially everyone should be judged on merit, not on something they can do nothing about, whether that is race sex religion age or else.

Look at the two comments put forward. The OP and what hullref said about a comment that he should be playing for a kids team.

Do you not see a massive disparity?

I am not saying they couldn't be as powerful with different circumstances, in this case they are not.

Nonsense @SM. You can be abused about age or race. Both are abuse. You can be discriminated by age or race. Both are discrimination. Abuse is abuse and whether about age race sex weight looks disability etc etc it is absolutely wrong. One isn't worse than the other. They are all totally unnaceptable.

The motto I live by with racism is this (excuse the turn of phrase):

If you're a c**t, you're a c**t, be it black white or brown

Essentially everyone should be judged on merit, not on something they can do nothing about, whether that is race sex religion age or else.
couldn't have put it better myself :)

You are pretty deluded if you think the comment that you put forward is anything like as powerful as the OP.

I find the name BlackMambaRef is just as descriptive and based on one thing over another.

Just seems that it's all OK for a kin to describe likewise but not anyone else?

Are we allowd to say "He's the ref wit the black mamber"?

Agreed the u9 s thing is extreme but my post about appearance ect is pretty relevant to the current debate .

You are pretty deluded if you think the comment that you put forward is anything like as powerful as the OP.
Again it is based on opinion. What is the difference between someone saying "No you can't do this job because you are too old/young" and "No you can't do this job because you are black"
Public taboo?

Not what we are discussing. You are broadening the argument way beyond the scope of what you originally posted.

Not what we are discussing. You are broadening the argument way beyond the scope of what you originally posted.
But it proves my point that ageism can be just as bad as racism. The only difference sometimes is that people are aware of racism and are publicly against it whereas nobody thinks that ageism is a problem nowadays and so it gets discarded.

It does not prove your point. You are trying to completely change what is being discussed to a far greater (In terms of scope not severity) issue.

Relate it to the op and what you posted?

It does not prove your point. You are trying to completely change what is being discussed to a far greater (In terms of scope not severity) issue.

Relate it to the op and what you posted?
Sorry I'll try to link it back.

I don't think the comment in the op is racist.
I think that it is just the same as someone saying something ageist to me
I also believe that ageism is just as bad as racism but doesn't have the same level of awareness and so people aren't bothered about it and thus nothing is done to combat it.

Linking it back to my other point
Again it is based on opinion. What is the difference between someone saying "No you can't do this job because you are too old/young" and "No you can't do this job because you are black"
Public taboo?

Ageism is just as bad as racism.

Whilst I do agree with the basis of HullRef's point (ageism), the reason I don't think it's thought of in the same was as racism or any of the other discriminations you mention is because there are still a number of legal obligations attached to age (schools leavers, sex, driving, alcohol consumption, alcohol sale etc) whereas there are none within the others.

For example, if you applied to work at the bad I manage and you're under 18, legally I cannot employ you.
If a clearly strict, observant Muslim man applied for the same job (and he said he was a religious Muslim), I cannot turn him down due to his religion, even though I feel there'd be a conflict of interests due to the fact that in Islam, alcohol is banned.
Equally, if a black man applied for the job but I turned him due to him being black, that is also illegal (and is clear discrimination) and I'd expect to be prosecuted as such.

Only one of those examples has legal discrimination in, ageism, which is, in my opinion only, why it's not seen as important or as discriminatory as racism.

HullRef, I do agree though that ageism in certain circumstances is wrong and I do think it's used. It's part of the reason I don't declare my age on my CV and why I'm often reluctant to reveal my age before I get the job (I come across a lot older than I am and look significantly older too. I also have a CV of someone far older than my actual age)

Back