A&H

Quick Free Kicks

I love it how these topics get resurfaced every few months or so :)

A quick free kick is just that, a 'qick' free kick. The attacking team is entitled to it if taken quickly (usually within 2 or 3 seconds) and from the right place. If taken 15 or 20 seconds after the foul then it's not a QFK, it's a surprise free kick which in most cases tips the rebalancing of the foul (and fairness) too far to the attacking side. It's the mismanagement of QFKs that has caused the practise of defenders running in from 15 yards to stand over the ball.

After the foul start moving to position of it. While doing so read the attacking team's body language and movement. You will know if they are taking it quickly. If they haven't taken it by the time you get there, or if you have to go through the conversation of if they can take it quick once you are there, or if they want to have a senior management meeting to decide if they want to take it quick, then it's not quick anymore. So as soon as you are there and they have not taken it quick, first thing you do is whistle in the air and make it clear to everyone, especially attacking players around the ball, that it's on the whistle. No need to stand in front the ball. Follow the rest of the proceeds from there.

Another practice I follow which makes life easier for me is immidiately after whistle in the air for attackers, I tell the few defenders who are over the ball, it's on the whistle guys, you don't need to be here. Almost always they retreat and start organising the wall while I manage the placement of the ball with attackers. It speeds up the process.

The Referee Store
Wasn’t it Lyon who took the quick free kick despite it being awarded to City...

No. They can't take a free kick which isn't awarded to them. They can attempt to kick the ball away but if the opposition spot the ball in the correct place and get on with it then why should they be penalised?

The key thing here is the Ref stopped the game only after City got into the box and then he gives an elaborate warning to the defender for sitting on the ball (no card). He could've warned the player after the ball had gone out of play or a goal was scored but he stopped the game to do it once he saw that a goal may be scored. It was ' game management' and he will probably be praised for it. I personally think that it's a dangerous road to go down where referees are manipulating the game to suit themselves.

Idiot assessor. The other thing to be aware of is when you've influenced the restart.
For instance, if you've returned the ball yourself (or heck, even stopped it rolling away), then you shouldn't allow a QFK because you've gotten involved to allow it to be faster than it otherwise would.
The relevance here is that if you've walked up and stood in front of the ball, that's a very clear action of a referee who's holding up the restart.

Sounds like like the observer is trying to install the importance of managing the game, rather than letting play unfold in accordance with the laws of the game.

My general take of QFKs is that (providing everything else is ok, stationary ball, right place, no cautions etc) if they want a quick one they can take a quick one, but it has to be quick.

If the attackers dilly dally and mince about and I have time to get there then the lose the chance of a quick one.

It really annoys me when I’ve blown for a foul and the offended team can’t decide what to do and then by the time I get there they ask to take it quickly. I normally tell them that if they wanted to take it quick then they should have just taken it.

If you have time to have that chat it's no longer a quick free kick. If I've got to the area where the tackle is made, I'm giving it on the whistle with clear instruction to the taker and keeper.

It really annoys me when I’ve blown for a foul and the offended team can’t decide what to do and then by the time I get there they ask to take it quickly. I normally tell them that if they wanted to take it quick then they should have just taken it.

Its when one of the defenders jogs slowly up the pitch, adjusts his socks, then looks at you and says "can I take it quickly ref?" Always raises a smile!

I've always held to the belief that the team that committed the offence has no rights - except the right not to be misled by the referee. For me if the referee stands over the ball, that is going to lead to the impression that the referee is managing the situation and that the kick is going to be 'ceremonial.' To then suddenly step aside and let a quick free kick be taken is, I think,
misleading. Bad advice from this assessor, in my opinion.

Back