A&H

Question

The Referee Store
At level 4 and above there is a formal route of appeal. Below that there is no right of appeal, but you can contact your observing co-ordinator / RDO if you fell either of the following are true ...

- The observer is incorrect in law, for example he says you should have sent off for DOGSO on a penalty but also says it was a genuine challenge for the ball.

- The mark or grade clearly doesn't match the written text. As example might be you are given below standard (or 3.0 on a 5-4 report) for application of law but the text says your AOL was good and there is no developmental advice.

What you need to remember is the observation officer / RDO wasn't at the game, so it is no use appealing that the observer thought you missed a red card and you didn't think it was a red card, as the observer's say on that is final.

Does a fabricated caution count?
And when I eventually caution said player, I got marked down as not showing the red.
Also an alleged dogso, 1 on 1 attacker on keeper with 2 other defender in vicinity?

Biggest problems with observations for referees is surprises. Developments should be written on a carbon copy form and given to the referee at the end of debrief if they aren’t on that form then it shouldn’t be used in the report.

And when I eventually caution said player, I got marked down as not showing the red.
Also an alleged dogso, 1 on 1 attacker on keeper with 2 other defender in vicinity?

What do you mean by a fabricated caution count?

If he thinks your caution should have ben a red there is nothing you can do, it is his word against yours. Same for the alleged DOGSO, there's no way you can appeal that.

Biggest problems with observations for referees is surprises. Developments should be written on a carbon copy form and given to the referee at the end of debrief if they aren’t on that form then it shouldn’t be used in the report.

I agree about the no surprises and nothing major should be in the report that isn't in the debrief.

But I have never heard of an observer using a carbon copy form. Personally I have a debrief form that I go through after with the officials, if there's a significant piece of development advice and I don't mention it in the debrief it doesn't go in the report.

Fabricated caution: he wrote on report I caution a player, when in fact I called him in, gave a talking to, but no yellow card shown.

On the dogso, I was 7-8 yards behind play, unobstructed view. Observer some 60 yards behind me almost in line with the D on opposite end, sat down on the opposite side

Fabricated caution: he wrote on report I caution a player, when in fact I called him in, gave a talking to, but no yellow card shown.

On the dogso, I was 7-8 yards behind play, unobstructed view. Observer some 60 yards behind me almost in line with the D on opposite end, sat down on the opposite side

So the incorrect caution possibly counts as being incorrect in law.

For the DOGSO it doesn't matter where you and the observer were, and realistically the observer will always be further away than you. Really nothing you can do here, if he says it should have been DOGSO then he is correct as far as the observation is concerned.

I agree about the no surprises and nothing major should be in the report that isn't in the debrief.

But I have never heard of an observer using a carbon copy form. Personally I have a debrief form that I go through after with the officials, if there's a significant piece of development advice and I don't mention it in the debrief it doesn't go in the report.

Easy change to make and would probably help observers.
The observer coordinator always says that if it’s not in the debrief then it doesn’t go in the report.
However whensomething comes up that wasn’t in the debrief it’s ‘have to go with the written report’ and there’s no recourse.
Most observers are very good but there’s on or two where you are tempted to record it!

Easy change to make and would probably help observers.
The observer coordinator always says that if it’s not in the debrief then it doesn’t go in the report.
However whensomething comes up that wasn’t in the debrief it’s ‘have to go with the written report’ and there’s no recourse.
Most observers are very good but there’s on or two where you are tempted to record it!

Apart from that is resorting to more paper in a world that is becoming increasingly paper free. Also observers wouldn't have time to do it - for a supply league game I wait ten minutes before going in and that ten minutes is fully filled with scribbling down my notes as to what I am going to cover. If I had to make it understandable to the officials it would take at least double that.

Would take 30 seconds. AOL / missed reckless tackle. MC / failed to recognise change in temperature of the match.
The referee could even write them as the observer gives the debrief.

The debrief is what makes it useful for officials. This is just to stop surprise 6.5s or 7 for sections when developments weren’t mentioned.

So the incorrect caution possibly counts as being incorrect in law.

For the DOGSO it doesn't matter where you and the observer were, and realistically the observer will always be further away than you. Really nothing you can do here, if he says it should have been DOGSO then he is correct as far as the observation is concerned.

So, in short, there goes my chance of promotion!

So, in short, there goes my chance of promotion!

Off the back of one game? What level are you, assuming 5-4 how badly has he marked you?

This is a conversation I often have with referees, but sometimes you just need to take a bad observation on the chin. I've had ones myself, including when I was level 3, where I thought the observer had been watching a different game, but what can you do? There's no video evidence, so if he says you missed something you missed something, as he is the one sent there specifically to observe your performance.

Level 7-6. The report been marked below average.
If you bang the next two as above average and overall you have a good reputation with the league and county FA (admin; admin and again admin) then you are good to go. Back when I was doing it, 2 out of 3 was the norm.

Apart from that is resorting to more paper in a world that is becoming increasingly paper free. Also observers wouldn't have time to do it - for a supply league game I wait ten minutes before going in and that ten minutes is fully filled with scribbling down my notes as to what I am going to cover. If I had to make it understandable to the officials it would take at least double that.
snap

This can be attributed to a poorly structured de-brief. At Supply and above Observers are encouraged to check disciplinary actions, cover key match incidents, talk about areas of strength and development. If your observer had done the same, there would have been no misunderstanding

Ah well I had enough time yo read and digest the report, I've taken the development points out of it, and gonna work on those.
In meantime I have sent a dispute email to RDO @county, probably not doing myself any favours there, but onwards with the next 2.
And Saturday I've got opportunity to watch a more senior ref,(line in supply league) and further develop my shortcoming!
If all else fails, I will try again next season!

Thanks everyone for your support

This can be attributed to a poorly structured de-brief. At Supply and above Observers are encouraged to check disciplinary actions, cover key match incidents, talk about areas of strength and development. If your observer had done the same, there would have been no misunderstanding

I am a 7-6 and both of my games the observer enquired about my cautions and what I gave them for.
My 2nd one even went as far and asked if he missed one and confirming the ones he had matched mine.
My 2nd game, though, was an u23 match in which I had two level 5s on the line, with one a 5-4 benchside. Managed to sit in the stands and watch from a decent view before walking round the pitch.

Back