A&H

Question from a fan site!

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
I was explaining that a foul that starts outside the pen area but finishes inside is a pen.

Someone asked, what happens in reverse in that case - unlikely scenario I know, but I'm thinking I would still give a pen, but the point is a good one - is that unfair to defender?

Thoughts?

Thanks

The Referee Store
You pick the point where the foul is most advantageous to the fouled players team i.e. you're effectively playing advantage but don't have time to signal.

Yes, give the penalty as that is the greater advantage to the offended side.

I wouldn't care whether that is fair to the defender, they are the one committing the offence.

Ah, might be showing my terrible understanding of that rule - and luckily ive never been put into the situation where this happened in a game - because it sounds like I would have been wrong... But ive always believed its where it started.

I.e. sliding tackle mistimed, player clipped (outside box) but overly dramatically falls yards inside the box - thats a free kick outside the area.

Yes in your scenario that's correct because no offence has taken place inside the area.

However if defender grabs attacker outside area but continues to hold him inside area then that's a pen.

Best example I ever saw was in a United v Everton game. It was either Alan Stubbs or David Unsworth (memory fails) who starts pulling Ole Solskjaer outside the area and it continues inside.. It would be around 2002/03 if anyone can find a video,

Back