A&H

QPR v Sheffield United

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Last Saturday. Deliberately not posted this before now, as didn't want to be accused of a knee jerk 'fan' reaction.

I have no beef at all with the 2 Sheff Utd goals - one a very tight offside call - impossible to argue 100% either way or the Sheff Utd penalty - soft, but can perfectly understand why given - live I thought it was - always a good guide!

However, where I did have an issue with the referee was the amount of time wasting he allowed Sheff Utd GK to do.

I saw him warn him 4 times for taking up to a minute with every GK. Now 1 or 2 warnings fair enough, but pointless to keep warning if you take no action.

His kicks from hands were equally slow - up to 30 seconds each. I should point out that there is a big electronic scoreboard behind each goal, so its not a case of a 'fan' exaggerating the time taken.

When was the last time you saw a professional GK penalised for taking over 6 seconds to release? It never happens so GKs know they can take (almost) as long as they like.

Its not the losing, honest!, but I really resent paying to see a match and end up spending literally minutes on end watching Gks and their 'game management'!

Thoughts?

The Referee Store
Hi PP, after Norwich at home last season we learned something as a team.... The fans have a song they sing It goes..... 'Playing football the Norwich way!!! We were mugged off last season when they scored earlier and spent 60 minutes completely time wasting in the ways mentioned. Swansea did it too this season but nicked a late goal. It is an annoying tactic but refs don't seem to pick up on it quickly enough! 100% agree..

That said, I didn't think it was a penalty, I haven't seen an angle yet where its a stick on, soft at very very best!!

Last Saturday. Deliberately not posted this before now, as didn't want to be accused of a knee jerk 'fan' reaction.

I have no beef at all with the 2 Sheff Utd goals - one a very tight offside call - impossible to argue 100% either way or the Sheff Utd penalty - soft, but can perfectly understand why given - live I thought it was - always a good guide!

However, where I did have an issue with the referee was the amount of time wasting he allowed Sheff Utd GK to do.

I saw him warn him 4 times for taking up to a minute with every GK. Now 1 or 2 warnings fair enough, but pointless to keep warning if you take no action.

His kicks from hands were equally slow - up to 30 seconds each. I should point out that there is a big electronic scoreboard behind each goal, so its not a case of a 'fan' exaggerating the time taken.

When was the last time you saw a professional GK penalised for taking over 6 seconds to release? It never happens so GKs know they can take (almost) as long as they like.

Its not the losing, honest!, but I really resent paying to see a match and end up spending literally minutes on end watching Gks and their 'game management'!

Thoughts?

Understand the not sour grapes part. Can I ask though, your one up v Man City in FA Cup, even, the final itself.....your keeper does same
Thoughts?

The GK holding the ball for 30 seconds is a big statement. I'm don't want to doubt your claim, but that goes above and beyond anything that is normally accepted in the game.

Thoughts?
Video links!

Hadn't spotted the borderline offside.... maybe, could be, not sure??? Pen, i'm still not convinced its a pen!!!! (and I'm a Blade) No Citee biased rubbish here LOL!!!

Last edited:
Based upon real speed tv angle/distance. I didn't see it. Watching it again and slowing it down. Defender on right pushed the attacker in the back. It is a "soft" PK but CR was much closer than the TV and had a good angle. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to the CR. It's a push. Not an epic push but a push. As far as the player entering the PA. Just don't think that call that close is likely to be made anywhere. CR has to watch for the kicker striking the ball, the kicker to not feint at the ball and try to see everyone who enters the PA early out of the corner of his eye. Add in that this player is the farthest behind the CR. AR should be looking down the goal line. I understand why not seen/called.

This is a good penalty for me. I hate terms like 'soft' penalty. It suggests the ref really shouldn't have given it. And The notion that a player needs to be flattened like they've been hit by a truck for a penalty is part of what's wrong with this game.

A defender gave a clear push in the back - not a huge one, but one that clearly affected the attacker - and he had a fair chance of being able to play the ball without this push. I thought the push was delibrate, but that's really neither here nor their.

100% correct for me, and it was good that this ref had the courage to do the right thing. I honestly can't see any argument against it being a penalty.

As for the player entering the box - we all know that the field players can be level with the kicker these days and it still won't be called.

I think the sport needs to start calling infringements even as relatively minor as this one.

This is a good penalty for me. I hate terms like 'soft' penalty. It suggests the ref really shouldn't have given it. And The notion that a player needs to be flattened like they've been hit by a truck for a penalty is part of what's wrong with this game.

A defender gave a clear push in the back - not a huge one, but one that clearly affected the attacker - and he had a fair chance of being able to play the ball without this push. I thought the push was delibrate, but that's really neither here nor their.

100% correct for me, and it was good that this ref had the courage to do the right thing. I honestly can't see any argument against it being a penalty.

As for the player entering the box - we all know that the field players can be level with the kicker these days and it still won't be called.

I think the sport needs to start calling infringements even as relatively minor as this one.
This is what is getting to be wrong with this forum.

I'll type more on this after I've slept and I'm not pissed off

Hi PP, after Norwich at home last season we learned something as a team.... The fans have a song they sing It goes..... 'Playing football the Norwich way!!! We were mugged off last season when they scored earlier and spent 60 minutes completely time wasting in the ways mentioned. Swansea did it too this season but nicked a late goal. It is an annoying tactic but refs don't seem to pick up on it quickly enough! 100% agree..

That said, I didn't think it was a penalty, I haven't seen an angle yet where its a stick on, soft at very very best!!

I know, its very frustrating, but you can't blame it all on the refs -players/management accept it. I didn't mention the 'injuries' as not much ref can do.

On one occasion Sheff Utd player clutches his face after GK has collected ball from a corner. GK immediately punts the ball out of play. Referee checks on player who, surprise surprise, decides he doesn't need any treatment and.... QPR player gives the ball straight back to GK! Steve McClaren asked about it afterwards , just smiled and called it 'clever game management' in the knowledge, no doubt, that QPR would do exactly the same.

With the games in the Championship generally being close affairs, I just know its something I'm going to have to put up with on a regular basis - not really what I paid my £500+ season ticket for!:mad:

The GK holding the ball for 30 seconds is a big statement. I'm don't want to doubt your claim, but that goes above and beyond anything that is normally accepted in the game.

I agree - hence the post. As a referee and not a fan, I'm not expecting a free kick for 7, 10 15 seconds, but at times it really was that slow, hence my frustration.

I agree about the penalty as an isolated incident, but I think the problem comes when much 'bigger' pushes/pulls etc are allowed to go unpunished.

As a referee I understand that at a corner/fk its much harder to see and also you tend to get defenders and attackers holding/pushing but you can see why the average fan finds it hard to understand why at corners its seems to be a free for all and then this gets punished. As I said above, live in real time, albeit 80 yards away, I thought 'pen' - even as a QPR fan!

Best thing to do against Sheffield United, put 3 goals past them in the first 30 minutes then call it a day ;)

Boring Friday fact.

The worlds greatest showman and best footballer and all round nice guy pulled on the jersey on both these clubs.

Back