A&H

QPR v Cardiff City

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Apart from being obviously delighted with the result, two incidents of interest (hopefully) to you referees!

1) Disputed/unclear offside. Ball breaks to Cardiff attacker in an offside position. The ball came to him after a challenge between a Cardiff & QPR player. On highlights that I've looked at several times its unclear if a) QPR player touches the ball and b) If he does, if it is 'deliberate' or does Cardiff player get their first and ball deflects off QPR player.
The interesting point, which we discussed in the Bournemouth v Arsenal thread is what the AR does. He 'allows' Cardiff player to score THEN raises his flag straight up in the air. So clearly, that IS the prescribed signal for 'We need to have a chat' even though communications system in place.

Luckily for us QPR fans, after a lengthy discussion, both decide there is enough doubt there to disallow the goal.

2) QPR attacker runs back from an offside position to play the ball in own half - offside given and Cardiff take fk in QPR half much to the anger of 90% of the crowd - I told as many I could;) but interesting that the man in the street has no idea about this subtle change!

The Referee Store
I missed that offside goal/no-goal. Do you know about when it happened in the match? Was it in a highlight reel?

Colins team have dropped off a bit which suits me.. Hard call but offside seems the right one!!

The interesting point, which we discussed in the Bournemouth v Arsenal thread is what the AR does. He 'allows' Cardiff player to score THEN raises his flag straight up in the air. So clearly, that IS the prescribed signal for 'We need to have a chat' even though communications system in place.
I think this protocol has been in place for a few years now. I first remember having seen it a couple of seasons ago in a Middlesbrough game (not sure who against but I think it might have Blackburn).

Would be nice if the powers that be could inform everybody of what the protocol officially is. Here we are, a bunch of referees, and we have no definitive idea - what are players / spectators meant to do?!

Well, good timing here I guess, I got a response from one of our national instructors today that the protocol changed this past spring/summer and that the new directive is encouraging the AR to take more ownership of the offside decision especially when the player obstructs the goalkeeper’s line of vision (it should still be obvious to the AR), so raising a flag is now encouraged as opposed to standing there without raising it.

On situations where offside is NOT involved, the protocol continues to be to stand there without raising the flag when the AR is not 100% certain that a goal is correct.

Well, good timing here I guess, I got a response from one of our national instructors today that the protocol changed this past spring/summer and that the new directive is encouraging the AR to take more ownership of the offside decision especially when the player obstructs the goalkeeper’s line of vision (it should still be obvious to the AR), so raising a flag is now encouraged as opposed to standing there without raising it.

On situations where offside is NOT involved, the protocol continues to be to stand there without raising the flag when the AR is not 100% certain that a goal is correct.

And I think that makes sense. Referee and assistant signals are as much for the spectators as anyone else. If an assistant stands there with his flag down and then a goal is disallowed for offside no-one will have a clue what will have happened. Whereas if the flag has gone up at least they will have a vague clue what might have gone on.

Back