A&H

Problem Fouls

Big Cat

RefChat Addict
Level 4 Referee
If I give a foul for a committed tackle in which the player wins the ball, must I caution the player for Reckless Play? Is there any wiggle room between Careless and Reckless for a foul given against a player who has won the ball? (I realize a foul is not determined by winning the ball btw)
Occasionally, I sometimes feel like there's not enough to meet the criteria of RP, but I'm giving a foul to give a warning and to stop a game from escalating

Last edited:
The Referee Store
If you think it is careless no caution if you think it is reckless get your lemon out. Sometimes the momentum r of the player causes the foul and that can be seen as craeless. Other times the follow through or contact is reckless speed angle force etc sometimes it is SFP see before but feet off floor studs up etc. As a ref I think you can tell what action needs to be taken.

If you think it is careless no caution if you think it is reckless get your lemon out. Sometimes the momentum r of the player causes the foul and that can be seen as craeless. Other times the follow through or contact is reckless speed angle force etc sometimes it is SFP see before but feet off floor studs up etc. As a ref I think you can tell what action needs to be taken.

On a side note, 'get your lemon out' is one of the best things I've heard on this site. Love that

If I give a foul for a committed tackle in which the player wins the ball, must I caution the player for Reckless Play? Is there any wiggle room between Careless and Reckless for a foul given against a player who has won the ball? (I realize a foul is not determined by winning the ball btw)
Occasionally, I sometimes feel like there's not enough to meet the criteria of RP, but I'm giving a foul to give a warning and to stop a game from escalating
It's an absolute YHTBT. I have even sent players off after winning the ball.
There was one in a Champions league qualifiers recently when the defender won the ball and then studded the opponent. He was sent off.

Wining the ball is very low down the list of my considerations for careless, rexkless, excessive force.

• Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed
  • Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned
  • Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and/or endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off

No mention of the ball......in terms of careless, reckless or dangerous the ball is irrelevant.

Forget the ball....concentrate on the challenge and it’s consequences/potential consequences for the opponent.

I reckon i need to use natural stoppages in games to warn players their conduct is borderline, rather than manufacturing stoppages to do this (with foul decisions which are difficult to reconcile without also cautioning the offender)

I reckon i need to use natural stoppages in games to warn players their conduct is borderline, rather than manufacturing stoppages to do this (with foul decisions which are difficult to reconcile without also cautioning the offender)

If a player is ‘borderline reckless’ surely it’s a careless challenge therefore FK....no manufactured stoppage etc?

If a player is ‘borderline reckless’ surely it’s a careless challenge therefore FK....no manufactured stoppage etc?
Interesting. I had two games yesterday, both of which could have gone pear shaped. I gave a number of fouls and accompanying warning across the two games for tackles in which the ball was won cleanly. But i could sense that I whilst there wasn't enough to caution the players, if i'd have let the tackles 'slide', we would have been on a slippery slope. Two cautions were issued for RP in the first game, but none in the second and both games went off without incident

These considerations were released by FIFA as late as 2015 and I assume they are still valid. It does give touching the ball as a considerations (#3 and #8). But they are only two of many considerations and as I mentioned earlier, not the most important ones in my priority list.

1537791404291.png

Attachments

• FIFA Analysis of Match Situations 2015_1rnefe2q5b22m11andt2h6gga1.pdf
    95.3 KB · Views: 8
These considerations were released by FIFA as late as 2015 and I assume they are still valid. It does give touching the ball as a considerations (#3 and #8). But they are only two of many considerations and as I mentioned earlier, not the most important ones in my priority list.

View attachment 2491

Given that the LOTG defines what is careless, reckless & dangerous, this list cannot change those definitions.

The ball is utterly irrelevant in judging careless, reckless or dangerous.

View attachment 2491
Ah ha, reference to hand in unnatural position buried in that attachment. I always wondered where that phrase (used by the media) was sourced from!
FIFA worked hard on simplifying the interpretation of the Laws by releasing these thousand bullet points :confused:

Given that the LOTG defines what is careless, reckless & dangerous, this list cannot change those definitions.
FIFA worked hard on simplifying the interpretation of the Laws by releasing these thousand bullet points :confused:

To both of these... this is a list of CONSIDERATIONS. As in, things to CONSIDER/THINK ABOUT in order to come to a decision.

They're intended to be questions to help direct the thinking process of a referee. And, believe it or not, they really do help. A lot.

They're not intended to be replacements of the definitions. And nobody ever stated that they were.

The list of questions especially helps when something seems to fall between careless and reckless or reckless and excessive force, and by considering the things that are important, the decision can be a) come to quickly, and b) defended when discussing it with an assessor/observer after the fact.

Reactions: one
To both of these... this is a list of CONSIDERATIONS. As in, things to CONSIDER/THINK ABOUT in order to come to a decision.

They're intended to be questions to help direct the thinking process of a referee. And, believe it or not, they really do help. A lot.

They're not intended to be replacements of the definitions. And nobody ever stated that they were.

The list of questions especially helps when something seems to fall between careless and reckless or reckless and excessive force, and by considering the things that are important, the decision can be a) come to quickly, and b) defended when discussing it with an assessor/observer after the fact.
I understand. Reading through them might tweak one's instinct
The list would be good patter to spout in the direction of an assessor to justify my howling errors

This is one that comes under "most managers dont know the LOTG"

How many times per game will you hear the words "but i got the ball"

Back