A&H

Preston v Coventry

The Referee Store
It was briefly brought up in another post. Its a very very soft penalty.

Although the posters comment on the video sums up what we have been talking about on the other posts today. No idea where the fan has got it from that AT has never refereed in The Championship.

I was at the game, was surprised when it was given. The challenge didn't stop the shot being made so not a DOGSO and not a red. The clip doesn't show AT explaining to the Coventry players that the attempted rugby tackle affected the shot being taken.

I was at the game, was surprised when it was given. The challenge didn't stop the shot being made so not a DOGSO and not a red. The clip doesn't show AT explaining to the Coventry players that the attempted rugby tackle affected the shot being taken.
The assumption surely is that the 'foul' made him misshit the shot. I'm not having that that means it can't be dogso cos he got some sort of shanked shot off.

The assumption surely is that the 'foul' made him misshit the shot. I'm not having that that means it can't be dogso cos he got some sort of shanked shot off.
Maybe, but I interpret the word denial to mean deny the opportunity to score. Not to impact the quality of the opportunity to score.

If I am wrong with my interpretation, then it's better that I know. :)

Reactions: es1
I'm 100% with @es1 on this - if you're giving a penalty because you think he's been clipped or pushed just before the shot, that's obviously going to affect the quality of the shot and therefore qualify as DOGSO. And it's nowhere near an attempt to play the ball, so must therefore be red not yellow.

But no, ideally shouldn't have been given as a penalty at all.

I'm 100% with @es1 on this - if you're giving a penalty because you think he's been clipped or pushed just before the shot, that's obviously going to affect the quality of the shot and therefore qualify as DOGSO. And it's nowhere near an attempt to play the ball, so must therefore be red not yellow.

But no, ideally shouldn't have been given as a penalty at all.
We do need to be mindful that it's no longer just attempt to play the ball but challenge for the ball has now also been incorporated in this year's changes.
This was to ensure upper body challenges were not being unfairly punished when it was a legitimate footballing challenge e.g. bodies coming together when competing for the ball.

That said, this doesn't fit that bracket for me, there is no possibility to play the ball so it's a DOGSO.

2 possible reasons for the yellow 1) too much weight placed on this year's change or 2) he thinks the shot comes first and not impacted by the action.

Neither are correct but excusable if that's how AT saw it.

Ps I personally don't think it's a penalty, just not enough, if any contact, force and no impact to attacker.

Back