A&H

Preston North End v QPR

Cheers SS, but surely two things keep the signal from being mistaken for ball in/out of play.

1) Ball most likely won't be near touchline/goal line and
2) Flag stays straight up & stays there ie no direction indicated?

The Referee Store
Cheers SS, but surely two things keep the signal from being mistaken for ball in/out of play.

1) Ball most likely won't be near touchline/goal line and
2) Flag stays straight up & stays there ie no direction indicated?

I think #1 is an important an enough reason for ARs to signal /far/mid/near.
But I think that under the laws we weren't flagging parallel is an even more important reason.

Good discussion Blovee, but can't accept that logic. If a foul takes place close to you as AR that you flag for, but in "other half" the free kick isn't brought back to take it in line with where you are!
Apples and Oranges - a foul is not an inherently "two-part" offence like offside, where one part occurs first (player in offside position) and you then wait for some time for the player to become active (which could be almost immediate but could equally be some seconds later) by which time the player could have moved as much 50 yards or more. A foul is also not an offence for which the location on the field has been decided based on one set of perfectly good criteria for over 100 years and has just suddenly been moved to a completely different (and to my mind, much less logical) location based purely on a desire for that "hobgoblin of little minds" - a foolish consistency.

The whole idea of offside is to prevent a player gaining an unfair advantage in terms of attacking play by getting closer to the opponent's goal than he should. Why then should it be penalised by a free kick back towards the player's own end of the field? To me, it just doesn't tie in with what many would see as the "Spirit of the Game" as it applies to offside offences.

Apples and Oranges - a foul is not an inherently "two-part" offence like offside, where one part occurs first (player in offside position) and you then wait for some time for the player to become active (which could be almost immediate but could equally be some seconds later) by which time the player could have moved as much 50 yards or more. A foul is also not an offence for which the location on the field has been decided based on one set of perfectly good criteria for over 100 years and has just suddenly been moved to a completely different (and to my mind, much less logical) location based purely on a desire for that "hobgoblin of little minds" - a foolish consistency.

The whole idea of offside is to prevent a player gaining an unfair advantage in terms of attacking play by getting closer to the opponent's goal than he should. Why then should it be penalised by a free kick back towards the player's own end of the field? To me, it just doesn't tie in with what many would see as the "Spirit of the Game" as it applies to offside offences.

Very much in agreement with this , logically the free kick in my mind should be taken from where the offside player was when the ball was kicked ....
However saying that I will of course be abiding by the laws however frustrating

Back