A&H

Open Age Prejudgements on a match

I think being straightforward and blunt is... fine in most cases. Pre-fixing it by making a general comment on 'snowflakes' just to belittle and dismiss other types of advice is a bit rubbish and uncalled for though.

The Referee Store
The flashpoint in the last match was a penalty decision against them. I started giving a freekick in centre circle against them. One player questioned me, I gave a short reason for decision. Whilst that player still questioned me, I was watching the ball and they took a quick freekick. They played it into the penalty area and in came a silly tackle which led to a penalty. Queue arguments they shouldnt of been allowed a quick free kick. I disagree completely. I had finished that conversation. The game was heated from that point on despite them winning comfortably.
Back on track and back to the OP. I was waiting until you did the game - shame it was cancelled. I understand this incident was a tough one in light of the threatening behaviour afterwards but what about this incident... now you have had time to sleep on it - did the opponents have a case here?

You explain that you are given an explanation to a player while the ball is dead. I think with talking to players it should be either: on the run, very mild "advice" when it is safe (i.e. no risk of loss of concentration) or then when the ball is dead and you take the time to talk to a player. I don't think there is middle ground here. A good reason is because, if we are talking to a player and allow e.g. a quick set piece, we might not be able to see to concentrate on the action.

Look at it the other way round... when should we make free kicks ceremonial? If the taker asks for it, yes. But also, if we have to go and position a wall, if we have to stand around the ball to move players, warn players, explain to players (and I also ask for "on the whistle for me" if I have to get 35m from a free kick on the far side to get into position on the edge of the box). If we are interfering in and around the dead ball then my understanding is that ceremonial is the way to go.

(I learnt this the hard way when I whistled for a DFK to be taken during a run up, after pulling it back once for taking it before the whistle - and the defence froze for a tap in. Different scenario I know but it made me conscious of when/when not to help my match control with/without the ceremonials.)

Anyway, what do you think - I guess it was YHTBT...? (...and there is no excuse for the dissent and other behaviour)

I blew for a direct free kick for a trip. The defender caught the players ankle from behind. Very obbious decision. The defender asked why and whilst the attacker placed the ball i told the player whilst moving into position it was for a trip. The attacker took it immediately after that explanation was given passing it short. The defender then wanted to continue our conversation when the ball was back in play. I had nothing to add so carried on. The attacker played a pass into the penalty area. In came defender who was not concentrating like a wrecking ball. Careless tackle. Penalty kick. Thats when chaos ensued.

I did come away and though what I could of done differently but I dont think I would of changed any of it. Free kick decision correct. Explanation very short, on the move and to the point. Free kick taken with me in position watching the ball and not ceremonial so seen no need for a whistle to restart play. Penalty decision was clear and a very careless tackle caused by the player losing his own concentration.

Was a very weird games because 90% of the time when I get dissent or a bad reaction from players at the end of the match I would see maybe small things to do differently or how I didnt help the sitiation. In this case other than book more players sooner after the flashpoint, I dont think there was much I could of done. Definitely dont think there was anything I should of done differently to avoid the situation in that scenario but any advice on a different approach appreciated.

Back