A&H

Pre Season Fees

Steve Curtis

Hi all, hope you've all had a great summer and are looking forward to the new season.
A quick question for you all:
I have my first couple of pre season games this weekend and was wondering what fees do fellow Referees charge for these types of games? Do you just charge the same as a league game or do you look at it as its a pre season game for you. To assess your fitness, to see if your calls and reactions are still at a high level etc and charge nothing?
Cheers.
Steve.

The Referee Store
I normally just take whatever they offer unless it is ridiculous. If I am asked how much I want for the game I normally go with £25 for middle and £20 for assistant no matter who the teams are

I think you have to be reasonable but not too cheap so that you're undercutting other referee's.

League fee's with no travel expenses usually.

To be honest I'm quite happy to be back in the middle after a couple of months off. I'll not take any money for these games. Thanks for your replies. Enjoy your weekend chaps.

I don't think that you should not take a fee.

Are they using you over other referee's because you're a good referee and they like you, or are they using you because you've undercut every referee in the county and are free...

Take / ask for what you feel comfortable accepting - especially if you are getting a pre-season out of it too

Clubs will happily pay for a referee who is good, contactable and nice ...

Likewise I'm happy to do games for free / less-than-league-level-fees for Clubs that ask me often and are local

FTALD.jpg Found a pic.....
A few seasons ago i was asked to referee a 7- a - side mini tournament for adults with learning disabilities ( 3 teams male and female) i was more than happy and priviliged to do this for nothing. Just to see the smiles on their faces, and the enjoyment they were having playing football was payment enough. I would do this every time even an all day charity tournament.... but friendlies etc. i will expect to be paid....

Last edited:
The guidance for pre-season games are:

You are paid the match fee of the league of the lowest team. For example, if a Premier League side were playing a supply league side, you would be paid that of the supply league side.

View attachment 629 Found a pic.....
A few seasons ago i was asked to referee a 7- a - side mini tournament for adults with learning disabilities ( 3 teams male and female) i was more than happy and priviliged to do this for nothing. Just to see the smiles on their faces, and the enjoyment they were having playing football was payment enough. I would do this every time even an all day charity tournament.... but friendlies etc. i will expect to be paid....

Good shout - I've had a few games like this - not just charity games - but games where you feel privileged to have been a part of and almost feel like paying the teams ... I ref'd a TOWIE / Celebrity XI vs Spurs Legends in May - just being on the pitch and having Sheringham, Anderton and others play triangles around me was fantastic - and then they wanted to pay me at the end of the game !!

I've been at an academy festival the last two days and seeing pictures of lads from FC Dallas and Aberdeen mixed in together is brilliant, the enjoyment the lads get from playing teams who's names they don't know how to pronounce properly and have never played before really shows what football is all about for me! Being paid 15 quid a game per 40 minute match for 3 days is just a nice bonus to me :)

I'm doing a game this Wednesday, and both teams have agreed to pay me a tenner, so £20 for a pre-season match suits me fine. Ready to get back out in the middle after a prolonged summer due to holidays/volunteering etc.

Back