A&H
Resource icon

Pre-match instructiona 1

No permission to download
The Referee Store
Not a bad set of instructions although I would suggest a few things:

1) Get ARs to check nets and then come and witness the toss, that way if any problems with the nets it can be sorted quicker.

2) You would be better of splitting the pitch into thirds, there third, the middle third and your third, and include about credible area in giving decisions.

3) Its great you put in about Mass Confrontation, I would be more detailed in what I would want, like the closest watch for punches, the furthest check for runners and you take the people who started it. That way you have the best possible chance of getting everyone who needs sorting out.

Few things I do differently that you may want to consider;
*Goal/No Goal - If 100% sure raise flag in left hand > Upon whistle point flag at shoulder level towards H/W > Side to side up touchline.
If given, DON'T let the assistant overrule unless it's major eg. A Foul or it isn't actually in. Either way there should be a flag for a foul and a discrete signal for a phantom goal
*Pens - 1) You give it, 2) You say no (Or cut the grass) 3) You don't have a clue and look for assistant's flag
*Dugouts - If being called over for an issue, no warnings - they're leaving the immediate FOP.
*Offside - Hold flag out for 3 sec's then lower and stay in position
*Dissent - If AR calls you for dissent it's a booking or dismissal, no warnings.
*Recording - Senior > Cautions & Sendings off
Junior > Goals & Sendings off

In relation to not given a PK.
At the RA conference we were strongly advised by the EPL refs and David Ellery NOT to cut the grass. just in case you ARBis a bit eager. In pre-match tell them to let you have the 1st bit of the cherry. A big NO tells everyone it's not happening so your AR does not cause you any issues

Using both arms starting at the opposite sides swipe them in front of you so they end up horizontal.

Yes, but I'm not sure what the whistle is for in the situation described.....or the flag for that matter

In a GDS-style situation, Aled's whistle to stop the game (as AR's flag is raised), AR then signals with the flag and positive moving towards halfway that it's a goal.

I should add, move towards to assistant to head off any w****rs that fancy having a go at my AR, their also getting cautions. But yes Grayson, that is what I mean by whistle

I have only had NAR twice this season. Once on a cup quarter final match and then I only had 1 as the other was taken off me. The only other time was for a JPL game and certain clubs have them for all matches.

I know of some level 7s who have had 5 or 6 times this season I think it's a sign of things to come, where they give level 7s more opportunity to experience high level football.

Sounds great to me, personally I wouldn't have a clue if I had NAR's!! So the experience would be great for me

That's one of the joys of this site, Svenny. You can pick up so much match-based information about so many things. Just by reading about the experience gained by refereeing colleagues there is never a need to go clueless into any football refereeing situation

Back