A&H

Pre-Course Study Material

Kieran W

I'm taking my basic referee's course in June and want to know if you are issued with any study material etc. prior to the course?

Thanks

A&H International
Nope, I wasn't issued anything prior to taking the course but on the first day of the course I got:

A respect booklet
LOTG
Basic Referee Course Folder, contained all the info about the kit and other useful tips
Safeguarding Booklet

I was - they never actually took in or checked the exercises but they tested us on a few facts like ball pressure (0.6 - 1.1 atm.) and substitution procedure.

I'd suggest downloading the PDF of the LOTG.

The test is 35 multi choice questions on the laws themselves, each worth 2 points. Then 30 questions off a DVD where it's about applying them.

Have a look at the LOTG, then watch games and try and make the differentiation on careless, reckless and excessive force. Also look at the DOGSO. These are the ones that you have to make split second decisions on when you do get into the middle

I'd suggest downloading the PDF of the LOTG.

The test is 35 multi choice questions on the laws themselves, each worth 2 points. Then 30 questions off a DVD where it's about applying them.

Have a look at the LOTG, then watch games and try and make the differentiation on careless, reckless and excessive force. Also look at the DOGSO. These are the ones that you have to make split second decisions on when you do get into the middle
Unless the course has changed since I last was involved in running one (about 4 weeks ago), it is a multiple choice paper of 35 questions relating to in game scenarios with 2 marks each correct answer plus 100 marks decided through a series of practical exercises where the referee candidate receives guidance and instruction in the application of law in matchday situations.

Before the course, you will be issued with a binder containing course information and advice on refereeing plus an interactive DVD which provides information on the Laws of the Game. If you are aged 14-15, you will need to complete a Safeguarding Children CD and questionnaire. If you are 16 and over, you will need to attend a Safeguarding Children Workshop. Learn Laws 3, 4, 5, 8, 11, and 12 and you won't go far wrong.

Unless the course has changed since I last was involved in running one (about 4 weeks ago), it is a multiple choice paper of 35 questions relating to in game scenarios with 2 marks each correct answer plus 100 marks decided through a series of practical exercises where the referee candidate receives guidance and instruction in the application of law in matchday situations.

Before the course, you will be issued with a binder containing course information and advice on refereeing plus an interactive DVD which provides information on the Laws of the Game. If you are aged 14-15, you will need to complete a Safeguarding Children CD and questionnaire. If you are 16 and over, you will need to attend a Safeguarding Children Workshop. Learn Laws 3, 4, 5, 8, 11, and 12 and you won't go far wrong.

The course varies depending on county - we also did not have to do a practical assessment, just the 35 marks multi choice and a 30 mark DVD test. In advance, we got issued with the LOTG, a safeguarding children CD/booklet (For 14-15 year olds) and we were told to do an online respect module. We got the binder and county handbook on the first day.

Thanks all, on the course booking it says it will be Theory and Practical so I'm presuming it'll be like Brian described.

Also, can I ask what the pass mark is with the theory and practical combined?

Thanks all, on the course booking it says it will be Theory and Practical so I'm presuming it'll be like Brian described.

Also, can I ask what the pass mark is with the theory and practical combined?
75% for theory. Not to sure on practical as i didn't have to do one of those

No need to worry about the pass marks or anything really though (although I don't think you are) as they will practically make sure everyone passes + it is the easiest test ever. One guy just missed out but they pulled him aside and reworded the question/gave him 'advice' so he could get it right!

As long as you know the basic of the LOTG you will be fine

Hope you enjoy the course :)

Back