A&H

Practical Reffing (8v7?)

rogerkrenz

My first game as center referee was a division 6 (the lowest in the league) U10 boys game. Red team was up maybe 8-2 or so and the coach of green team sent in an 8th player. I told he needed to send one off and he said "no I don't", I said "you can't play with 8" he said "you can't when you're down 8 goals!". I confirmed with the opposing coaches that they were ok with this and they were. I figured I would not make a big deal out of it as it's young boys learning to play, and the final score was 12-3 red team. However, I was left wondering whether I should have made a deal out of it and carded the coach or waited until a player left the field or done what I did. Thoughts?

The Referee Store
You need to check the competition rules. I certainly know that in Norway they have such a rule for youth football, not heard of it in the UK though.

Simple as that really check competition rules, so your saying that the manager was under the impression that if your getting smashed you can add another player to your team.

Listen I’m not for young kids and teams getting beat so bad that it’s no longer fun & they want to trudge off the pitch but to add a player if your getting done is ludicrous.

The competition rules may allow this. If not, I would suggest to the team leading to take a player off which would be within the rules and just as 'practical'.

This is an idea that has been introduced into the revamped coaching syllabus from the FA.

The idea being that if one team is massively ahead having uneven teams reduces the one sided nature of the game.....although it is suggested that the winning team withdraw a player rather than the losing team adding one.
It’s not mandatory and is simple aimed at the youngest ages to try and increase the enjoyment for the young players.

This is an idea that has been introduced into the revamped coaching syllabus from the FA.

The idea being that if one team is massively ahead having uneven teams reduces the one sided nature of the game.....although it is suggested that the winning team withdraw a player rather than the losing team adding one.
It’s not mandatory and is simple aimed at the youngest ages to try and increase the enjoyment for the young players.

Stupid idea, it’s ok to even it up a bit but what if your poor little Johnny that gets dragged off because your team is winning.

Stupid idea, it’s ok to even it up a bit but what if your poor little Johnny that gets dragged off because your team is winning.
What about the other poor little Johnnies who are sitting on the bench already? Sitting on the bench is part of the game. Its just a different reason this time.

Coached a U14 team many years back. Played against a team of 9 once. We had 4 subs. After we went two up I took a player off and all of my gun player spent more time on the bench than everyone else. We still won comfortably but it wasn't a thumping. Handshakes and complements from parent on both sides (including the gun players).

What about the other poor little Johnnies who are sitting on the bench already? Sitting on the bench is part of the game. Its just a different reason this time.

Coached a U14 team many years back. Played against a team of 9 once. We had 4 subs. After we went two up I took a player off and all of my gun player spent more time on the bench than everyone else. We still won comfortably but it wasn't a thumping. Handshakes and complements from parent on both sides (including the gun players).

Exactly they’ve now got even less chance of getting on if your having to reduce your players on the pitch.

Silly idea imo, like I said not fun for 10yr olds to get beat double figures each week but gotta be another way around it.

You what chrisp? I haven’t got an interpret button on my phone.

Actally carding team officials is being trialed in some leagues. Australia's A-league being one of them. Sole grassroot leagues have followed suite. Don't be surprised if it comes to a league near you.

Back