A&H

Post-Penalty?

Small time referee

Level 8 Referee
It was my third or fourth game, under 13s, now over a year ago, and it was 3-3 in the last minute, yellow v purple as yellow's striker charges into the box and his chopped by purple's defender. I point to the spot and there are no complaints, just slight annoyance that a point may be lost. I tell the goalkeeper to stay on his line, make sure I and he know the identity of the penalty taker and turn away, like a novice forgetting to tell him to wait for the whistle. At this point I assumed a 13 year old who was interested in football would know to wait for the whistle but he didn't. As I'm turning around I see his foot strike the ball. Now I'm praying it goes in so he can retake. It doesn't. The penalty is poor and the keeper holds it and boots it high and far. I decide that as it was a foul penalty I would play advantage. Anyway, it's too late now as purple's striker is through on goal. Fortunately it is saved and out for a corner which yellow clear and I end it there, to see the penalty taker in tears on the spot, 13 year olds and their parents surrounding me demanding an explanation and a long way back to the car. Was I right to play advantage or should he have retaken it? Either way, since then every penalty taker has been greeted by me saying very loudly "Wait. For. My. Whistle".

The Referee Store
You HAVE to blow the whistle for the penalty to be considered taken, it's in the LOTG, that means if you DIDN'T, the penalty is not considered taken whatever the result is. And if the player kicks the ball before your whistle, you can't give anything else than to retake the penalty, so there wasn't any advantage to play since the attacking team didn't do anything they could be punished for.

What you did is like letting the advantage for a goal kick that didn't go out the box -> non sense

It was my third or fourth game, under 13s, now over a year ago, and it was 3-3 in the last minute, yellow v purple as yellow's striker charges into the box and his chopped by purple's defender. I point to the spot and there are no complaints, just slight annoyance that a point may be lost. I tell the goalkeeper to stay on his line, make sure I and he know the identity of the penalty taker and turn away, like a novice forgetting to tell him to wait for the whistle. At this point I assumed a 13 year old who was interested in football would know to wait for the whistle but he didn't. As I'm turning around I see his foot strike the ball. Now I'm praying it goes in so he can retake. It doesn't. The penalty is poor and the keeper holds it and boots it high and far. I decide that as it was a foul penalty I would play advantage. Anyway, it's too late now as purple's striker is through on goal. Fortunately it is saved and out for a corner which yellow clear and I end it there, to see the penalty taker in tears on the spot, 13 year olds and their parents surrounding me demanding an explanation and a long way back to the car. Was I right to play advantage or should he have retaken it? Either way, since then every penalty taker has been greeted by me saying very loudly "Wait. For. My. Whistle".
You haven't restarted game therefore retake. No 'quick' penalties.

You HAVE to blow the whistle for the penalty to be considered taken, it's in the LOTG, that means if you DIDN'T, the penalty is not considered taken whatever the result is. And if the player kicks the ball before your whistle, you can't give anything else than to retake the penalty, so there wasn't any advantage to play since the attacking team didn't do anything they could be punished for.

What you did is like letting the advantage for a goal kick that didn't go out the box -> non sense

Thanks for letting me know. Thankfully I found out in youth league division 3 under 13s :)

As has been stated, easily resolved. Just make him take the penalty again.

As you have already stated, there are occasions where you will tell the player to wait for the whistle - which is usually done during the management of restart - e.g. a penalty kick or free kick in an attacking area. You may also ask a player to wait for the whistle in other scenarios e.g. if you want to slow the game down, get into position etc...

As the others have said retake in that situation.

I don't understand the confrontation bit at the end?

I assume the taker was crying because he missed, not because he didn't get the chance to retake?
What were the players and parents demanding an explanation of? I would assume with players and speccys famously ropey knowledge of the LOTG they didn't cotton onto the lack of a whistle to start the penalty?

How do you say in english when a coach calls for a reclamation when the ref did a technical mistake ?

Thanks for letting me know. Thankfully I found out in youth league division 3 under 13s :)

Don't worry, refereeing isn't about knowing it all straight away but learning from the mistakes you're eventually going to do when a situation appears for the first time

Last edited by a moderator:
Word of advice - never turn your back on the ball - even when it is dead! Especially at something like a penalty. Get a side on view of the action and side step and walk backwards - do not turn your back on anything even for a second if you can help it!

And what was said above. :D

Back