A&H

Positioning

Robin

Level 7 Referee
I was just wondering if you can get too close to the ball.

I have had mixed comments from other referees who say get as close as you can and then I have some say dont get too close but my way of thinking is if I can get close enough then I wont miss anything so I am not really sure as to what approach to take.

I am also not 100% sure where to stand when there is a corner and also not 100% sure where to stand when there is a goalkick.

Any tips and advice with this would be great.

A&H International
Regarding the proximity to the ball, I feel that you definitely can get too close to the ball. If you are too close, you often cannot see the full picture of a challenge eg a player might have sprinted in from 20 yards away to lunge at his opponent, but all you can see is a firm challenge where the player seemingly wins the ball 'cleanly' - had you stood further away, you would have noticed a red card offence. Also, you do not want to interfere with the play by getting in the way and being hit by the ball. This is only going to annoy the players and harm your match control.

Having said that, I do not think that you should stand too far away - it's best to find a medium where you can spot infringements well but are not too close to the ball IMO.

Ummmm where to start? Very difficult to answer for you as everyone has their own preferences.

I was just wondering if you can get too close to the ball.

I have had mixed comments from other referees who say get as close as you can and then I have some say dont get too close but my way of thinking is if I can get close enough then I wont miss anything so I am not really sure as to what approach to take.

For me, yes, I can get too close to the action. I don't get too hung up on the ball position as that's not necessarily where the 'action' (foul) is. I try and keep about 10-15 yards from the action, as I find, with MY eyes, I can concentrate on the ball/feet/challenge while still having wide enough peripheral vision to spot any arms/elbows/off the ball in the vicinity. Of course, at times you also need to anticipate where the 'action' is going, so that IT comes to within 10-15 yards of you. It's a personal thing with many different factors,, but generally, if you are able to see the action/ball/challenges clearly, then you are in a pretty good position.

I am also not 100% sure where to stand when there is a corner and also not 100% sure where to stand when there is a goalkick.
There is a whole section in the Good Book about recommended positioning from dead ball situations, but again, this can be a personal preference.

However, many refs change position corner by corner, to keep the players on their toes.

With Goal Kicks/ kicks from the hands, I try and get level with where I think the ball is gonna drop, and wide - so that the ball is dropping over my right shoulder (with my back to the GK who is kicking).

A 'general' bit of advice I have been given, is to try and keep the action on your right hand side - it works pretty well!

Most important though, is to talk to your mentor/coach/assessors about it - they all have different preferences as well, and what works for you, might not work for them.

For the corner and goal kick positioning

Neutrals

goal kick - on the half way line, the side on my diagonal path

corner - edge of the area, judged where I can see the best from depending on where the players are positioned.

Club assistants

Goal kick - where the average drop zone is

corner - on the front 6 yard line then move out after the corner has been taken

You can indeed get too close. As others have said, what you need to see is not necessarily the action around the ball.

More important is having a good angle on play.

Back