A&H

Positioning

boblardo

Level 5 Referee
Couple of photos of me in action last night; Just wondered if anyone had any feedback or tips regarding my positioning in these pictures.

Attachments

• Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 86
  • Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 87
The Referee Store
RE the first - I personally hate being out right on the left at the touchline unless absolutely necessary. The reason for this is that if there's a counter attack, if you're on the right hand side of the players (i.e. slightly more central), it's much easier to turn and keep up with play. Likewise, if there is an attack, it's easy to follow. Either way, you make life as easy as possible for yourself. The risk with the first one (which is actually named Pic 2) is that you either get in the way of an attack down the wing or you leave yourself with yards to make up on a counter attack. Not the end of the world and just my personal preference though.

This is with CAR and IIRC pic2 was either from a goalkick or a defensive free kick

If it's from a goal kick then that is one hell of a kick he has on him given where it is dropping. For pic2, it it is indeed from a GK or defensive free kick then I'd say good positioning. If from open play it would have been great positioning 5 years ago, but not so much now. These days you only need to go wide if the game demands it, and you might be better on the inside there looking out to the touchline.

Pic1 I would probably want to see you squeeze that a little, 4 to 5 yards closer to the thrower. Also think about where the ball is going. Looks like to the closest player, in which case you need to move your feet as by the time he receives it you have a problem as there is a red player blocking your view of him, if that player goes to challenge him you may have a restricted view as you can't see through him. If it got thrown down the touchline you would really be too far from the drop zone to credibly rule on any pushing and pulling.

Pic 1, looks good. you also have to choice of being on the other side of drop zone.
Pic 2, a few yard closer and be on the move (walking pace) towards where you think the next phase of play is going to be as the ball is being thrown. This will make your transition to run smoother and gives you a head start if the ball is kicked up field after the throw.

On another note, if you had a different color shirt, I would have gone with it. Difficult to tell dark blue from black specially at night games given the shorts and socks are also very close shades.
While I am being picky :) does a player have white undershorts in pic 2?

For the gk thats a good position to have. Right in the drop zone. Out wide. If on your own this is optimal as ot gives you a whole view of the fop. If you come inside you only have a concentrated view and would miss anything that may occur behind you e.g. offside.

For the throw in I would like to see you downfield from the thrower and possibly a bit wider. When on my own i take a position on the touchline downfield from thrower. Again for similar reasons as to why I have complemented your position above from GK.

Back