A&H

Positioning-get wider...?

HantsRef

Level 7 Referee
Has anyone else been told to 'get wider' by a coach/mentor/assessor and struggled implementing it...basically end up running down middle channel for 80% of the match? Also feel I end up then concentrating on not doing it, too much, leading to it detracting from my overall concentration on the match.

Any tips/hints most grateful for as I feel positioning is the main thing I'm going to be slated for in assessments!

The Referee Store
Get wider, get narrower...as per previous discussions, do a bit of both and be in the right place at the right time..you can't go wrong ;)

I often pick this up when assessing.

In open play, your positioning should aim to be at 45% degrees to players running for the ball. You are not running alongside with them, so can keep a peripheral view, but you're not running behind them and not noticing any niggly trips / pulls.

However, the main reason I say to get wider is during ball in flight times. Referees often stay static once the ball is in flight (i.e. in the air) during goal kicks, fly kicks, long balls, etc... The result is the ball going over their head / on the other side of the pitch and they are some distance away from the drop zone / get in the way.

If a referee has a kick go over their head, they should aim to get wide to get a side on view of the two players competing. You will not have time to sprint and get directly side on to them, but if you take a wide, curved run (i.e. getting wide) then you will see any offences. This is difficult to explain without drawing pictures, but I hope you understand...

Unfortunately I've found it that I can only go wrong at the moment haha! Fortunately in all the matches I've had where this has been picked up, it's not detracted from other things such as match control...it's probably just the transition from youth to OA football and that positioning becomes more important due to more obvious patterns of play (I hope anyway!)

I often pick this up when assessing.

However, the main reason I say to get wider is during ball in flight times. Referees often stay static once the ball is in flight (i.e. in the air) during goal kicks, fly kicks, long balls, etc... The result is the ball going over their head / on the other side of the pitch and they are some distance away from the drop zone / get in the way.

If a referee has a kick go over their head, they should aim to get wide to get a side on view of the two players competing. You will not have time to sprint and get directly side on to them, but if you take a wide, curved run (i.e. getting wide) then you will see any offences. This is difficult to explain without drawing pictures, but I hope you understand...

Yes, had this explained and also with the addition of side-stepping along either touchline or edge of centre-circle furthest away from next 'active AR' (dependant on side in which keeper is kicking towards)...lots to learn as always!

Last edited by a moderator:
Side stepping helps me. I was sometimes behind play and to quickly get an angle you side step to the left (presuming play is on your right hand side), this gives a better view.

Agree with everyone above re angles

Sometimes it is better to run 10 yards towards the touchline than 10 yards towards the goal (although everyone watching will only see the distance you are from any infringements!)

Another (hopefully helpful!) thought might be to occasionally get really wide and deep on attacking throws when they are on the opposite side of the pitch to your AR.ie you get on the touchline and beyond the ball. That then keeps you wide for the next phase of play and pretty much forces you to run back on a diagonal if the defending team get the ball

Another (hopefully helpful!) thought might be to occasionally get really wide and deep on attacking throws when they are on the opposite side of the pitch to your AR.ie you get on the touchline and beyond the ball. That then keeps you wide for the next phase of play and pretty much forces you to run back on a diagonal if the defending team get the ball

I disagree. Being on the touchline is the worst place. Here are some reasons:

1) You need to keep a peripheral view of all players, if you go on the touchline, your view across the pitch is blocked by a mass of players
2) You cannot monitor the thrower (for infringement) at the same time as monitoring pushing etc...
3) You have lots of ground to make up if the ball is booted down the other end of the pitch. Also involves you having to run through / around a mass of other players.
4) You are blocked in the position if it goes into the corner. Meaning you are some distance away for when the ball is crossed

I disagree. Being on the touchline is the worst place. Here are some reasons:

1) You need to keep a peripheral view of all players, if you go on the touchline, your view across the pitch is blocked by a mass of players
2) You cannot monitor the thrower (for infringement) at the same time as monitoring pushing etc...
3) You have lots of ground to make up if the ball is booted down the other end of the pitch. Also involves you having to run through / around a mass of other players.
4) You are blocked in the position if it goes into the corner. Meaning you are some distance away for when the ball is crossed
All fair points mate. Though just to prove that its all about opinions, the advice first came to me on my promotion workshop this year and it's been positively commented on by two assessors since. Can't please everyone :)

All fair points mate. Though just to prove that its all about opinions, the advice first came to me on my promotion workshop this year and it's been positively commented on by two assessors since. Can't please everyone :)

Indeed mate - many assessors have different views on positioning, so you'll hear a lot! All I will say about this TI position - do you see many Select Group - Championship - League One etc... officials taking up his position?

Indeed mate - many assessors have different views on positioning, so you'll hear a lot! All I will say about this TI position - do you see many Select Group - Championship - League One etc... officials taking up his position?

I suppose at this level the 4th official would have this viewing angle?

I think it's more to do with at 'park' level the idea of being at the touch line gives the widest possible angle of the full FOP hence "get wider"...obviously appreciate at L5 @drahc you are less likely to be on 'parks' football and on a county league (or equiv), possibly even on Step 6 with NARs in which case of course your positioning is going to differ.

Keiran / Hants Ref - I believe this position should not be adopted in any level of football. For various reasons, all stated above.

Drahc, truly appreciate your point of view on this, especially as you've backed it up with some very specific reasons why. I'm sure that this positioning will become increasing untenable for me at higher levels with quicker pace of play. All I can say is that for now it has definitely helped me in my quest to 'get wider' (and have a great view for the 90% of throws that go down the line) and as that was the query from the op I thought I'd throw it in for consideration :)

One other thought. At grass roots, taking too much of a steer from the very top level officials might not, in all cases, be the best policy. Their tolerance levels for dissent have obviously been debated widely on this forum! and I spent a year copying their position at corners before being alerted to the fact that with Club Assistants, being well positioned to judge the goal / no goal line might often take precedence over other views of the game.

Back