A&H

Portsmouth vs Sunderland 16/05/19

LOAFer

Level 6 Referee
The main story, quite rightly, is the disgusting behaviour of the supporter towards the player who ended up with the crowd but I am interested in:

1. What sanction the referee took against number 27?
2. What actions, in law, others think the referee should have been taken regarding number 27? I think that there are arguments for both yellow and red.

The Referee Store
It’s hard to see what 27 actually did but engaging physically with a fan should bring some sort of sanction. Maybe a yellow for AA?

Play on...: next

That is a legitimate position and one, as a football supporter, I buy into. But law 5 expects us to apply the laws and I was interested in what others think based on the laws. On balance, I think that a caution for unsporting behaviour will suffice as I am not 100% that I would call it a strike or attempt to strike (distance away etc).

No need to invent cautions. The neanderthal in the crowd was responsible for the incident
That’s irrelevant. These are professionals who need to remain professional. We don’t referee based on a scenario of ‘but he started it ref’, we react to the incident at hand

I don’t know what the ref did next.

But, if you start getting ceremonial here you have to be very certain what you saw. If you get staff involved you better have seen something 1000% from a fan. And if you sanction a player for an altercation with a fan, again you better be 1000% ...and is there a YC offence possible really? If a player has got involved physically with a fan is there a YC way out?

Worse would be to warn a player after this. That would suggest you’ve seen something but are not sanctioning.

Surely in this case, no action, no warning, you’ve seen nothing, leave it to the league to decide if fan/player need further sanction.

In this case I think the situation is saved because the first stripes player tries to get put very quickly. He deserves a lot of credit.

That’s irrelevant. These are professionals who need to remain professional. We don’t referee based on a scenario of ‘but he started it ref’, we react to the incident at hand
No player was guilty of a cautionable offence. That's relevant
Take for instance, rabid yelling in an officials face within spitting distance which routinely escapes sanction, why therefore would a player be cautioned for rightfully having words with a spanner. Not saying two wrongs make a right, but the latter hardly merits attention these days> Also, we don't know what got said

Last edited:
Can't be fussed to watch it again, but at the time my thinking was the lowlife hit the Sunderland player on the back as the the lad scrambled back over the advertising hoardings. Now if anyone wants to caution a teammate for expressing displeasure at this, good luck to that official for the rest of the match. Coming from a Magpie here

It was a bit rich of Lee Cattermole complaining about his mate getting a minor rabbit punch when he's spent a career inflicting pain on fellow professionals! He's generally a walking card for something fiesty!!!

Back