A&H

Poor referee

The Referee Store
I have often wondered why some officials in other countries blow their whistle when a goal is scored. I would only do it if the ball had crossed the line and then been cleared by a defender. Other than that I see no need to use the whistle when a goal has been scored.

It's sometimes taught that way.

I got dinged on an assessment last year for _not_ blowing the whistle on a goal, and merely pointing to the centre. I challenged it (bringing up the LotG bit on it too) and was told "but the spectators expect it". LeSigh.

I got dinged on an assessment last year for _not_ blowing the whistle on a goal, and merely pointing to the centre. I challenged it (bringing up the LotG bit on it too) and was told "but the spectators expect it". LeSigh.

Bl@@dy assessors! ;)

And yes, it was a bloody obvious goal. The kind that a whistle would've made the players look at me and ask "why isn't that a goal?" :)

I would advise you to contact your assessor co-ordinator. The only time you should blow your whistle when awarding a goal is if it has been cleared despite the ball crossing the line.

I would advise you to contact your assessor co-ordinator. The only time you should blow your whistle when awarding a goal is if it has been cleared despite the ball crossing the line.
Oh, a conversation was had. Believe me.

And yes, the teaching I had was always "only blow the whistle if it's not clear that it was a goal" (whether that's because it was cleared as you describe, or whether it goes through a (new) hole in the netting).

And yes, it was a bloody obvious goal. The kind that a whistle would've made the players look at me and ask "why isn't that a goal?" :)
THIS!!!

I cannot believe an assessor wants you to blow the whistle on an obvious goal. The whistle is blown in 99% of incidents to indicate an offence, so there's no need in that situation (goal) unless there had been one

My feeling (after having seen some assessors as referees) is that they, unfortunately like all of us, are Human and prone to failures of brain.

Back