A&H

Playing in a dangerous manner inside the penalty area

LC

Level 6 Referee
Just looking for some clarification on this.

I know if a player plays in a dangerous manner it is an indirect free kick but if it happens inside their own penalty area should an indirect free kick still be given instead of a penalty?

The Referee Store
Doesn't matter where it happens, PIADM is an IDFK to the opposition even in the penalty area. Remember, "an indirect free kick awarded inside the goal area must be taken on the goal area line parallel to the goal line at the point nearest to where the infringement occurred."

Reactions: LC
Indirect is Indirect, no matter where on the field it occurs. The PA only affects Direct Free Kicks.

(well, the goal area affects the placement of an indirect free kick, but not the type of the kick).

I had one of these yesterday. My first one as long as I remember in the PA. IFK 10 yards out directly in front. No goal resulted.

Also remember "Playing in a dangerous manner involves no physical contact between the players. If there is physical contact, the action becomes an offence punishable with a direct free kick or penalty kick."

You can red card for PIADM in the penalty area providing it can be categorised as DOGSO. You have to give IDFK as opposed to PK.

Correct in law but may cause a few problems for match control.

I am interested in descriptions of incidents when you have given IDFK for playing in a dangerous manner?
(Because we never see it on the telly. And e.g. if a player has to jump to avoid a really nasty tackle and a card is shown, there tends to escalation and the "indirect" part of the seems to always get forgotten in the melee.)

A player jumping to avoid a nasty tackle should not result in an IDFK for PIADM - it is almost always an attempt to trip or an attempt to kick and so is a DFK or a penalty.

I have given IDFKs for PIADM in the penalty area for the classic "high foot" - one player goes to head a ball but pulls away because another player is trying to kick it when the ball is at a height where it would be reasonable to expect an opponent to be using his head. I have also given one for a player who has fallen on the ball holding it between his legs thus preventing an opponent from playing the ball without kicking his opponent.

A player falling on top of the ball and thus putting himself in danger when others go to play it.
A player going to head the ball at waist height (or lower) while others are trying to play it with their feet.

I am interested in descriptions of incidents when you have given IDFK for playing in a dangerous manner?
(Because we never see it on the telly. And e.g. if a player has to jump to avoid a really nasty tackle and a card is shown, there tends to escalation and the "indirect" part of the seems to always get forgotten in the melee.)
- high foot (only if there's actually any risk to an opponent)
-studs-up slide tackle that misses the opponent (And as above)
-dropping the head down to kicking level around opponents when they're challenging the ball

are all the most common ones.

Only if it's 'at' the opponent....though even then usually I wouldn't consider it. Going near the opponent can be good enough, just depends.

[attempted] overhead kicks in a crowded box.

I had a great one at the beginning of this season as well, where the keeper had trapped the ball on the ground under their stomach, and was just lying on it spreadeagled. Attacking players about to go in and start hacking at the ball. Lack of comprehension from all when I blew.

I had a great one at the beginning of this season as well, where the keeper had trapped the ball on the ground under their stomach, and was just lying on it spreadeagled. Attacking players about to go in and start hacking at the ball. Lack of comprehension from all when I blew.
And who did you penalise? Surely the first offence for PIADM is by the keeper?

Back