A&H

Players wearing GPS trackers - legal?

GPS trackers (slightly bulky hard plastic unit) are...

• Legal

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Illegal

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • It depends. I could imagine a legal one

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters

CapnBloodbeard

RefChat Addict
So, in the media in Australia, in a state Women's Premier League match, there was an article where a referee noticed several players wearing GPS trackers during the match. There were some allegations about the referee doing the wrong thing, the entire article is trash - but it made me wonder.

Thoughts on GPS trackers? They're worn like a sports bra with a hard plastic unit somewhere on the item. These were sort of below the base of the neck.

The Referee Store
As long as they are sanctioned by the relevant competition & governing body they are fine. All contained in Law 4 (on page 43 of the new laws) under Electronic Performance & Tracking Systems (EPTS)

Hi
No issue as long as the data is not used during the game in the TA. Difficult to prove that it is being used so no concern to the referee.

to be honest i think a lot of the premiership clubs di it
I believe the PL clubs tend to use smaller devices built into players boots? As you say though, Opta will regularly quote "distance covered" stats.

These have been used in the Football League here for a few seasons at some clubs.

Some shirts even have a small pocket sewn into the base of the neck to put the tracker in, like rugby shirts.

Reactions: SM
they have them in the PL, I know for a fact West Ham have 4-6 players every game wearing them, and during training to analyse performance ...

the 'tracker' has soft padding all around so cannot harm the wearer or opponent

Used in WSL as well. In my last game, the clubs made a point of telling the referee (no surprises!).

Back