A&H

Players in penalty area after pen awarded

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Watching Brentford v Newcastle yesterday and I noticed something that got me thinking, especially after the 2nd penalty awarded - whether agreed or not.

Once the referee has awarded a penalty, he has walked towards the penalty spot.
The first penalty was as clear as daylight but the Newcastle players still complained, basically approaching the referee around the spot giving them opportunity to "attack the spot" to weaken the kick.
The 2nd one was awarded by VAR recommendation and viewed by the referee. Once again, he walks to spot and is surrounded by players who again can damage the spot. This time, what does arguing with the referee achieve? He's viewed it again on the monitor. He's not going to change his mind.

What I don't get is why has there not been put into law, or something done about, approaching referees and remonstrating at a penalty. There is literally no reason why loads of players need to surround the penalty spot other than the taker. Once upon a time referees stepped off the field when given and any player who approached him/her would get a caution for leaving the field of play without permission.
This practice has allowed teams to waste time, damage any area discreetly, whilst moan knowing nothing will happen.
Just caution anyone who approached the referee in the penalty area as there is literally no reason other than the taker or keeper to be in there.

The Referee Store
Just another example of players crowding a referee over a decision - nothing new. :confused:
As for "attacking the spot" and "damaging the area/weakening the kick" - really? :eek:

Just another example of players crowding a referee over a decision - nothing new. :confused:
As for "attacking the spot" and "damaging the area/weakening the kick" - really? :eek:
You saying it doesn't happen?
Teams do anything and everything for that extra edge.
You get the attacking teams sometimes protecting the spot because teams do this.
Not saying this happened yesterday in the game, but the fact the referee walks to the spot and entertains arguing on it for a couple minutes gives an opportunity for it to happen.

You get the attacking teams sometimes protecting the spot because teams do this.
Not saying this happened yesterday in the game, but the fact the referee walks to the spot and entertains arguing on it for a couple minutes gives an opportunity for it to happen.
Never seen it happen myself. Your point seems somewhat bizarre to me if I'm honest. (No offence intended by the way).

If what you say ever had any real bearing on the outcome of penalty kicks, then it'd be far more likely to have occurred as the result of players in and around the penalty mark during numerous FKs and corners.

The penalty spot gets trod on hundreds of times during a game, a couple of extra players standing on it before a penalty is waiting to be taken is hardly going to make any difference. Unless of course they are deliberately scuffing it up, in which case on of the officials should see that.

Scuffing the penalty mark is very very rare.
We teach new referees to move to the left after awarding a penalty, making it easier to handle dissent.

Scuffing the penalty mark is very very rare.
We teach new referees to move to the left after awarding a penalty, making it easier to handle dissent.
This. Contentious penalty… back up to the left to the goal line between the edge of the goal area and penalty area. Anyone that runs at you is easy to see and, if necessary, caution.

Back