A&H

Player uses OFFINABUS to opposition

A player calls an opposition player a C**t. What's your action?

• Total voters
The Referee Store
Had a chat about this with a few colleagues in the week and also some players today. Interested to see overall consensus

Red. All day long.

Had a boy foul an opponent, the opponent stayed down so the fouling boy then ran over, bent over the downed opponent and shouted loudly at him get up you fecking faggot.

He was very surprised to see me brandishing a red card when he stood back up.

His argument "no other ref would have sent me off for that!"

Seems he may have had a point.

The reality is that there IS a different standard for how players talk to opponents and how they talk to us.
My response would depend on the aggression and volume. Something screamed at would be different to something said fairly quietly in the middle of the field; this word is still generally considered far more offensive than the 'f' word though.
I'm not going to weigh in too strongly though, given different countries will have different tolerance levels

"F**k off you c**t" or "Get away from me, c**t" = RED
"You lucky c**t" or "He's a good c**t" = 'Player, I know you don't mean that in an offensive way, but keep it clean please. I should warn you that referees may send you off as soon as they hear that word.'

EDIT: I had "You lucky c**t" earlier this season and gave exactly that warning - the only time I've ever had the opportunity to show a red card for this word I didn't. I had rather sheltered early years, was doing my second ever match at the age of 17, and it was the first time I had EVER heard that word. I was aware from the context that it was probably OFFINABUS, but I was nothing if not indecisive when I first started out - let it slide, went home and Googled the word afterwards.

Last edited:
This is the definition of OFFINABUS. Why would you not send off?

Red, red, red. No reason for use of the c bomb other than offensive language.

Surprised by the ignore answers ....

The reality is that there IS a different standard for how players talk to opponents and how they talk to us.
My response would depend on the aggression and volume. Something screamed at would be different to something said fairly quietly in the middle of the field; this word is still generally considered far more offensive than the 'f' word though.
I'm not going to weigh in too strongly though, given different countries will have different tolerance levels
I'm with the Capn here, even with this potentially highly offensive word, context is important and I'd take it into account. To paint an extreme example ...

Red player scores an absolute 'worldy' hit from thirty yards out in an otherwise poor standard match. As he's walking back for the kick off, a Blue player is smiling and ruefully shaking his head .. he shakes the hand of the Red player and says in a joky way 'You lucky c***'. I'm taking the option of warning him to be careful with his choice of language rather than going for a red. If you buy this example (and I'd be interested to see who does) then there's obviously a sliding scale from here right up to the word being aggressively screamed in an opponent's face after eg a bad tackle.

But what if I dont think its an offensive word?

Ther are plenty of word used in either good or bad ways withing life that others find offensive but that others dont - not on individual scales but countries and or continents.

So if doing a game with an american team and everyone on the team uses a name as a term of endeerment (mate, bud, dude, n^^^^ etc) you send the whole team off for laguage that you find offensive but no-one else does?

Just asking - use it on my pitch and you're off - ask Tottenham ladies!

Out of amusement, I did just that. The first ~3 pages are all memes. I got quickly bored at that point in time.

This is the definition of OFFINABUS. Why would you not send off?

Red, red, red. No reason for use of the c bomb other than offensive language.

Surprised by the ignore answers ....

Actually if you read the examples I have given, along with Capn, it's pretty obvious the c word is not only used with offensive intent. What if a player calls a friend on the opposing team a 'good c**t' - if we are going to send players off based on the word that is used, rather than its meaning in context, then we are enforcing our own moral code which is not found anywhere in the laws of the game.

I don't like the word c*** anyway..... if just prior to K.O. i notice there is women/children present i will ask both teams to mind their language due to women and children... i might let the odd f- word(not loud) used in frustration but still mention it......never had a problem with that

interesting @mikedn ... I tend to warn the teams prior to the math 'chaps, as you can see we are in a public area - try to keep language to a minimal as some passers by may find bits offensive' - that's regardless if woman and children are about or not

I do generally let it slip though ... I take the mean machine approach where 'ref, did you hear what he just called me' I answer with 'he said it to you mate, not me - now get on with it' haha

although just out of interest, I voted 'red' as I presume this was 'a player calls an opposition player a c**t ... in an aggressive manner'

Last edited by a moderator:
Back