A&H

Player shouts "over"?

deusex

RefChat Addict
A player complained on Saturday that "You cant shout "over" ".
Apparently it's a tactical instruction of some sort that I think one defender was shouting to another (so why the hell it wouldn't be allowed I have no idea)
I more concerned about having never heard this "over" shout.before in my life.
Anyone know what it means?

The Referee Store
I've heard it a few times........... normally when somebody is going up for a ball and realises they are not going to get to it. They shout "over" to let their team mates know its going over them.

As per usual, unless its shouted to put an opponent off, I have no issue with it.

'Over' is a common call to dummy the ball. Can be used either when passed inside and different player wants to shoot, or when player passes the ball and there's a guy directly behind in acres

I thought the shout "over" was used when playing at school if a shot was higher than the goalkeeper at the time could reach. Therefore it's deemed over. Classic playground LOTG.

As @DanCohen17 its to tell another to dummy it to get around a law that does not exist i.e. "leave it" and what is usually said is "Over" or "Jacks" and when I was playing I used "Sids"

I have trouble understanding this one, are "over" and "leave it" the same thing here ?

Depends what context "over" is said in, round here it's normally a coach shouting to an attacker "it's over him" when it's clear the defender is comfortable settled under the ball to head it, always seems to be the lazy strikers it's directed to...

So it's not an attempt to distract like saying "leave it" or "mine" to an opponent, just a way to say "run, he's not gonna have it!" ?

Jack took words out my mouth or in another context over here they use it for defensive terms too tell another player they cannot get too it as it going over my head

Similar sort of question so i'll put it here:

I was watching a local game today and a number of times a player would shout "its a con" in reference to the ref. Now, in my mind this is an equivalent to calling the ref a "cheat" so should the player be sent off? What alternatives do players use instead of "cheat" and would you send them off for using them?

Yes Anything with inchling of any meaning I'm getting called a cheat then a player is telling me how the showers are

Back