A&H

Player on the ball pulling shirt

alexv

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Thoughts on this? I had one similar in my game where the player with the ball was gripping onto the player’s shirt (who was trying to get the ball). I gave the free kick and signalled shirt pulling to the bemusement of the crowd. The player knew exactly what he did and the captain agreed with me.

It’s weird though as it’s generally not accepted to give a free kick against the player with the ball, but surely pulling the shirt of an opponent to stop him from tackling is an offence.

Also, before anyone starts, this isn’t a post complaining about a decision against Leeds, it’s just the first time I’ve seen a good example of it.

The Referee Store
Yes, sure, I'll give them. I've actually given a penalty for it before, though whether that was brave or foolish I don't know.

In that clip, I'm surprised the assistant doesn't seem too fussed? That looks like a pretty easy sell?

It's holding so fair game to blow for it.

In the video shown it looks like the attacker is trying to get unfair advantage by holding shirts/shorts either to drag a player to ground or draw them into fouling him so again an easy offence to give

That led to a bit of a mass confrontation and it got a little messy. I was surprised a foul wasn’t given in either direction. For some reason, football fans seem to think fouls can’t be given against the player in possession of the ball. In that clip, the Arsenal player is almost playing for to get a free kick, so a free kick against him would’ve been the correct decision but unexpected. Clever from him really if he knows nothing will be given against him no matter what he does, even though he’s the one fouling

Yes, sure, I'll give them. I've actually given a penalty for it before, though whether that was brave or foolish I don't know.

In that clip, I'm surprised the assistant doesn't seem too fussed? That looks like a pretty easy sell?
What was the reaction to the pen?

In the clip, the AR seems too close to see the shirt pull. He is looking at the feet. He should still be able to see the shirt pull in peripheral view but I don't think he is looking for it. Its also easy for the referee to think It's close to AR so if he is not calling it I am letting it go.

This is one of those occasions that you have to find a foul somewhere no matter how soft. The risk of allowing play to continue is too high once it gets very physically with more than one defender involved.

Last edited:
This is one of those occasions that you have to find a foul somewhere no matter how soft. The risk of allowing play to continue is too high once it gets very physically with more than one defender involved.

Yeah, I was really surprised nothing was called quite quickly on that, especially when others started rushing in - almost inevitable that those situations quickly get out of hand.

I was also surprised nothing was called for a while (again, I think that is another unforeseen problem with VAR).
I had a similar one last weekend where I could be damned if I knew what exactly had happened, but there was a complete mess-up by the goalkeeper, limbs and bodies flying around, and I blew for a defensive FK (it's never going to be a penalty unless I see something undeniable). You don't really want a goal to come from such uncertainty.

God the AR must have seen the 10 seconds of shirt pulling!
This happens all the time and is (wrongfully) never penalised

Back