A&H

Player commits two offences in one action

newref

What does the law say about a player who commits a reckless challenge which is also a promising attack? Does this result in two cautionable offences and off or just the one? I've seen this so many times on tv and only a caution is given, but what should be the correct action by law?

The Referee Store
What does the law say about a player who commits a reckless challenge which is also a promising attack? Does this result in two cautionable offences and off or just the one? I've seen this so many times on tv and only a caution is given, but what should be the correct action by law?
This is very clear in law. I suggest you search the answer in the laws of the game and if still unsure perhaps then pose the question again. 😊

This is very clear in law. I suggest you search the answer in the laws of the game and if still unsure perhaps then pose the question again. 😊
Hi James. Thanks for the response. Yes, I’ve already read it in the laws and it appears that it’s two yellows and hence a red. However I’ve rarely seen that been applied in professional football so just wanted to clarify.

Hi James. Thanks for the response. Yes, I’ve already read it in the laws and it appears that it’s two yellows and hence a red. However I’ve rarely seen that been applied in professional football so just wanted to clarify.
OK. So I can tell you that that's not right. So, which part of law makes you think that it should be two yellows?
The answer is on pg.60

OK. So I can tell you that that's not right. So, which part of law makes you think that it should be two yellows?
The answer is on pg.60
This is the law. Although, I realise I may have misread it.
“Where two separate cautionable offences are committed (even in close proximity), they should result in two cautions, for example if a player enters the field of play without the required permission and commits a reckless tackle or stops a promising attack with a foul/handball, etc.”

To clarify, as per above examples:

* If they enter FOP without permission THEN commit a reckless tackle. Two separate actions, both cautions. Y-Y-R.
* If they commit one offence which is a reckless tackle which also stops a promising attack. Caution.
* If they stop a promising attack by punching an opponent. More serious simultaneous offence is punished. Red.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
This is the law. Although, I realise I may have misread it.
“Where two separate cautionable offences are committed (even in close proximity), they should result in two cautions, for example if a player enters the field of play without the required permission and commits a reckless tackle or stops a promising attack with a foul/handball, etc.”
OK. So you are applying the wrong law in this scenario. This is for sequential offences. 1 offence then another separate offence at a separate time.
Your question relates to simultaneous and this where 2 offences occur at the exact time. And the law (on page 60, where I said) says this :

• punishes the more serious offence, in terms of sanction, restart, physical
severity and tactical impact, when more than one offence occurs
at the same time

Does that now answer your question?

To clarify, as per above examples:

* If they enter FOP without permission THEN commit a reckless tackle. Two separate actions, both cautions. Y-Y-R.
* If they commit once offence which is a reckless tackle which also stops a promising attack. Caution.
* If they stop a promising attack by punching an opponent. More serious simultaneous offence is punished. Red.

Hope that makes sense.
Thanks max. Definitely makes sense. Its just funny how :
- a normal foul which stops a promising attack would be a yellow
AND
- a reckless foul which stop a promising attack would also just be a yellow.
Thats what I was confused about but thanks for the clarification.

The classic example here is Martinelli for Arsenal. He committed two fouls, but they were seconds apart from each other so two cautions were correct. That is very different to a single challenge, yes it might be both reckless and stopping a promising attack, but you only sanction one of those things.

OK. So you are applying the wrong law in this scenario. This is for sequential offences. 1 offence then another separate offence at a separate time.
Your question relates to simultaneous and this where 2 offences occur at the exact time. And the law (on page 60, where I said) says this :

• punishes the more serious offence, in terms of sanction, restart, physical
severity and tactical impact, when more than one offence occurs
at the same time

Does that now answer your question?
Yes thanks for that. One final clarification on this please. If a reckless foul is committed and the referee plays advantage because there is still promise. Then the same player catches up to the same attacker and commits another reckless foul would this now result in two yellows and a red?

Yes thanks for that. One final clarification on this please. If a reckless foul is committed and the referee plays advantage because there is still promise. Then the same player catches up to the same attacker and commits another reckless foul would this now result in two yellows and a red?
Yes, refer to my previous comment about Martinelli. Or this one ...

Yes. These are sequential events so you're punishing two separate fouls. Not the same foul commiting multiple offences

Back