A&H

Open Age play or not play an adult friendly?

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
i turned up at a game today and the home team supplied nets.

No corner flags or pitch markings. home team had 50 cones and these were spread out to mark penalty area etc.

In law can i play the friendly or do i send all the players home?

The council took a reduced fee but refuse to mark pitches until august.

I'm told by another referee i could be suspended. Really?

A&H International
I've played games in similar circumstances. If you go they'll just play anyway with a club ref.

Technically speaking it isn't in accordance with law as it requires that lines are marked. I don't think any CFA would be getting involved here though, as long as the teams are affiliated and there's nothing dangerous about the pitch then I'd say it is just common sense to play it. Completely different question obviously if it was a competition game, the only option there would be to call it off.

I think once the cones go down and you get the rough idea of the pitch in your head it is playable. By no means official, or competitive. But it is a friendly and if both teams agree it is just a runabout. I doubt anyone will be annoyed at you for anything based on the pitch.

The other referee is being boring. Ignore him. You arrived, both teams want the game, so you have used common sense and allowed the game to go ahead.

The academies I do sometimes play on a rugby pitch and they use flat disk cones to mark the box. I have no issue with this.

Technically speaking it isn't in accordance with law as it requires that lines are marked. I don't think any CFA would be getting involved here though, as long as the teams are affiliated and there's nothing dangerous about the pitch then I'd say it is just common sense to play it. Completely different question obviously if it was a competition game, the only option there would be to call it off.
Somebody who is going for promotion this year is telling me if i was reported i would miss 6 to 8 weeks.

nonsense.

Somebody who is going for promotion this year is telling me if i was reported i would miss 6 to 8 weeks.

nonsense.
If you were reported and the CFA felt there was enough for a charge you would be charged and have the choice of accepting it or requesting a hearing. If the hearing did feel that you had failed to proficiently apply the laws of the game the usual suspension is 21 days, not 6 to 8 weeks.

But as I said, I don't think any CFA would pursue this for a friendly game.

Back