A&H

Pitch inspection

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Recently had a game where the weather has been horrendous.

I must admit, I half expected the game to be off.
I was asst referee on the game.

Woke up on the day of the game, as usual for any game, with determination to get ready etc, whilst seeing the weather outside just pouring with rain (and continued, forecasted too, to be heavy throughout, leaving the pitch a mud bath at the end). I genuinely thought it surely can't be played knowing local fields etc were completely underwater. This is a low level game, so can imagine no drainage etc.

To my surprise, I found out via the teams social media page in the morning that there was a pitch inspection and that it passed. Great. Don't mind that at all.
I do mind, however, not even being given heads up that they were even doing one, or that it even passed. It just so happens I saw it on social media. I realise it didn't affect me getting ready, or doing the game etc, but the fact that an inspection was felt necessary (seeing the pitch on arrival and after, can definitely see why, and also felt maybe it was very touch and go, and forecasted weather, I'd have probably have said no personally). Wasn't the best of games by the way. To watch or officiate, can't imagine playing was much better.

Anyway.
I felt a heads up should've been made to us.
Do you agree?
A courtesy as such.
It's not changed that the match was on, and played, but taking into consideration the conditions for the past few days before the match and on the day/during, a message to say something like "I'm heading down for an inspection, I'll keep you updated" etc I feel is, for me, certainly a minimum.

The Referee Store
Who conducted the inspection? If it was the referee, why wouldn't he have his crew with him?

Who conducted the inspection? If it was the referee, why wouldn't he have his crew with him?
In England, match officials often travel from different directions and up to 30/40+ miles, so usually left to a local referee at the approved level to carry out the inspection.
This morning the game I was due to attend as Observer this afternoon was called off by a local referee (one of the AR's appointed to the game) which saved the referee a 100 mile round trip and similar for the visitors.

Often league rules state that referee should be informed of an inspection, and any assistants.

I used to do inspections for a handful of clubs local to me and would ensure I spoke to match referee and assistants to say on, off, your call when you get here.

Glad I've a week off this week off.
Weather I think has put off a lot more games.
Just think communication needs to improve or at least some form of protocol.

Glad I've a week off this week off.
Weather I think has put off a lot more games.
Just think communication needs to improve or at least some form of protocol.
Most competitions have a protocol - in the leagues where I am an observer, the club advise the referee that an inspection is needed, and the referee carrying out the inspection sends a video of the f. o. p. conditions to the referee for a final decision.

Clubs will usually inform the referee there is an inspection, and will only then contact the assistants if the game is called off. The assistants are never going to play any part in the pitch inspection, whereas the referee will even if he doesn't physically carry it out (dependent on level of the game). I always used to let my assistants know that there was an inspection, but a lot of referees didn't.

If there was ever a pitch inspection on one of my games, I'd always let the ARs know out of courtesy- regardless of whether I was doing the inspection or someone else

In reality the ARs don't really need to know anything unless the game is off, but my thinking was always that we're a team. So if I know, they should know.

Back