A&H

Picking up tips

jamie0114

Level 7 Referee
Had a day off from reffing today as went to watch my 11 year old play but picked up some useful tips from the man in the middle
1. Turn up 10 minutes before kick off
2. Wear a blue shirt
3. Check the nets were attached to the posts but totally ignore the big hole in the back of the net the ball had been going through in the warm ups
4. Kid gets knocked down and stays down from ball full on in the face...carry on for a bit
5. Dishes the flags out to 2 spectators with no instruction on what he wants them to give
6. Walk round for 60 minutes, breaking into a jog wasn't going to happen.
7. No penalty spot for the pen he gave so took 11 irregular paces to mark one

The Referee Store
Suspiciously similar to Sheffield's Finest's style of officiating........in his manor too......

Reactions: SM
I went to watch my brothers son play at Prestons Academy at UCLAN in Preston, 3 x 25 minutes friendly. Young ref who ran less than Minty! Now, that's one for the future. Couldn't recognise a foul right under his nose and allowed players to jump up in front of the keeper at a fly kick. Was togged up well so I'll let him off.... nice cup of cha after in the cafe! IMG_2264.JPG

I went to watch my brothers son play at Prestons Academy at UCLAN in Preston, 3 x 25 minutes friendly. Young ref who ran less than Minty! Now, that's one for the future. Couldn't recognise a foul right under his nose and allowed players to jump up in front of the keeper at a fly kick. Was togged up well so I'll let him off.... nice cup of cha after in the cafe!

Future's bright! He'll need some good coaching.

Sounds a bit like the guy I watched today!

Got a message on Friday from the chairman of a club I have ref'd many times over the past 4 years or so. His u14s were playing away from home, but he knew home team were struggling for a ref, so he put me in touch with home manager. Agreed to help them out, got match details blah blah blah. 1/2 hour later got another message to say really sorry, we have double booked as club sec has also arranged and paid for ref. Said no worries etc. As the game was in the morning, local and had the time before son's game this afternoon, decided to go along and watch anyway as I know a few of the parents.

Ref never bothered removing coat for game, rarely moved more than 10 yards from centre circle, never once broke stride to a jog let alone run. Despite winning home side spent most of the game complaining, plenty of verbals towards ref and opposition, balls kicked away at free kicks etc, a few cynical almost nasty challenges and yet not even a hint of a card or at the very least meaningful reprimand! :confused::mad::wall:

And a different stream on the forum is complaining about Prem referees....

Other that the fitness requirement, it appears English refereeing is consistent from top to bottom

:poop::poop::poop::poop::poop: 5 poops, a top rating for a referee ;)

Last edited:
This is true, during my de-brief on Saturday my observer made reference to the referee on the next pitch over, who apparently didn't leave the center circle for the whole game.

It must be better in some areas than others, I've never seen anyone near me referee from the center circle, although I am sure it happens.

One thing I've seen a lot of when watching my Mrs play if refs who rock up 15 minutes before kick off, don't do a kit or pitch inspection and then spend 90 minutes strolling around not making an obvious effort to get close to play.

Not sure how you stop this from happening though. certainly all the leagues local to me are crying out for refs, so if there was a way to filter out those whose hearts aren't in it any more then grass roots football as a whole would suffer.

This is true, during my de-brief on Saturday my observer made reference to the referee on the next pitch over, who apparently didn't leave the center circle for the whole game.

It must be better in some areas than others, I've never seen anyone near me referee from the center circle, although I am sure it happens.

One thing I've seen a lot of when watching my Mrs play if refs who rock up 15 minutes before kick off, don't do a kit or pitch inspection and then spend 90 minutes strolling around not making an obvious effort to get close to play.
Some of us made careers of not getting close to play !

We had to give the assessor something to write about, as we were (are) perfect referees in every other way - Don't you agree lads!

Last edited:
What's this 'centre circle' of which you speak? Sheffield's Finest and I do not recognise the term. However, we do acknowledge the 'circular path of patrol', especially useful for those of us with one leg longer than the other......

You are also perfectly positioned at least twice a game !

for the Kick-offs:D

Back