A&H

Persistant infringement

Gaz

Level 7 Referee
Had a game today, one team (the Blues) completely outclassed the other (the Whites) and ended up scoring a bucketload against them. Problem was, the Blue team were so quick on the ball that they had often moved it by the time the challenge came in from the White player, and as a result it was a stop start game with lots of freekicks to one team.

No White was guilty of multiple fouls at any point really, it was fairly well spread around the team, and none of the fouls were reckless or in my view meriting bookings when on their own. It was only really as the game went on that I started thinking "this is getting persistent", very stop start with free kicks, but in my view none of the subsequent fouls could i justify booking one player for persistence without it being a bit of a cheap booking. The Blues obviously wanted something doing, but it was just at that awkward level where a free kick felt like enough punishment each time. It wasnt a bad tempered game, and otherwise there were no problems (beyond the usual whinging about offsides, etc)

How would you manager situations like this? Can you justify booking one player for his first foul and calling it team persistence to try and stop any future bad challenges? How early would you get involved?

The Referee Store
You can't book for team persistance in my mind, maybe have a word with the captin, HOWEVER! if a player commits 3/4 quick fouls then he's going in the book in my opinion.

Gaz... if there is a notable pattern occurring I would suggest giving a warning to the offending team captain for the multiple late tackles. If any further fouls of a similar nature occur I would then suggest issuing a caution for unsporting behaviour as opposed to persistent infringement.

Gaz... if there is a notable pattern occurring I would suggest giving a warning to the offending team captain for the multiple late tackles. If any further fouls of a similar nature occur I would then suggest issuing a caution for unsporting behaviour as opposed to persistent infringement.

If they appear to be ganging up on one player, the next player to foul him goes in the book.

Alternatively, just try and play advantage as much as possible and then everyone's happy!

Back