A&H

Penalty

callmemyref

If a defending team player (including the
goalkeeper) commits an offence and the penalty is missed/saved, the penalty
is retaken. - if the ball misses the goal or rebounds from the crossbar or goalpost(s),
the kick is only retaken if the goalkeeper’s offence clearly impacted on the
kicker

These two laws are completely opposite?

The Referee Store
A keeper coming off the line then saving the pen = retake
If the pen hits the post or misses, play on

Similar with encroachment as well. If there's encroachment, only penalise it if the player that encroaches scores the rebound (attacker) or clears it (defender) otherwise play on (or goal if the initial pen is scored with attacker encroachment)

Similar with encroachment as well. If there's encroachment, only penalise it if the player that encroaches scores the rebound (attacker) or clears it (defender) otherwise play on (or goal if the initial pen is scored with attacker encroachment)
So what if the penalty kick is taken by the player number 10, rebounded from the crossbar and player who entered the penalty kick before the ball was kicked scores

Here is the concept:

Keeper encroaches by 4 inches as the kick is taken. The kick is wide, no goal, no retake. Taker would have kicked it wide anyway.

Keeper encroaches by 4 yards as the kick is taken. The kick is wide, retake. Keeper has closed the angle and taker has had to go wider to get it past the keeper.

Similar with encroachment as well. If there's encroachment, only penalise it if the player that encroaches scores the rebound (attacker) or clears it (defender) otherwise play on (or goal if the initial pen is scored with attacker encroachment
While I get this, it is not according to lotg. The impact clause only applies to goalkeeper encroachment.

It is however the trigger for VAR intervention.

Yeah you're right, but it's how I'd apply it in reality
You and everyone else. For better or worse, the understand of encroachment is pretty clearly that we only punish encroachment either if it is extreme or the player gets involved in a rebound. Clear case where the Game looks more to the SOTG than to the letter of the LOT.

So you are saying that I shouldn't worry about encroachments like players entering the penalty box before the ball moves, unless he scores?

So you are saying that I shouldn't worry about encroachments like players entering the penalty box before the ball moves, unless he scores?

It's hard, because if you don't watch for it you'll not spot it if required. There's 3 main places to look at a pen...
1. goal for keeper movement/goal decisions
2. Kicker for feignt/double touch
3. Edge of the box for encroachment

On your own you need to prioritise where you look for the more important, more frequent decisions (which I'd argue is the goal).

In a team of 3 it's still tough as you can't really watch the kicker and keep an accurate eye on encroachment.

In reality the only way to consistently and accurately spot encroachment is with VAR, unless its incredibly obvious.

The key word is credibility.

if the players are chasing you round the pitch cos an attacker ran past you as referee as his pal took the kick, you are swaying towards encroachment.

if you happen to catch a glimspe of a shoelace breaching the magnetic forcefield of the 18 yard box and you would require forensic analysis by Marie Curie to justify your decision, we are leaning towards nothing to see here.

My favourite was when my son was a newly-qualified 14-year-old referee in an Under-12's game. Easy penalty decision in the second half.
Mouthy coach shouted to the attackers "Run in as soon as he kicks it so we make sure"
Referee blows the whistle, at which point an attacker (not the penalty taker) runs in past the taker and past the ball before it is kicked.
Ball entered the goal.
Referee dealt with it very well(!)

My favourite was when my son was a newly-qualified 14-year-old referee in an Under-12's game. Easy penalty decision in the second half.
Mouthy coach shouted to the attackers "Run in as soon as he kicks it so we make sure"
Referee blows the whistle, at which point an attacker (not the penalty taker) runs in past the taker and past the ball before it is kicked.
Ball entered the goal.
Referee dealt with it very well(!)
Whether I’m doing youth, OA or vets, when a penalty is being taken I always turn to the players standing on the edge of the area (& check none are in the D) and say: “remember - you can come into the box when the ball is kicked, not when I blow the whistle..” A useful reminder, and also maybe just sows the seed that I’ll be looking for encroachment.

Whilst this might be what you do practically, I’m not sure it’s the best advice for a L7 who may seek promotion.

If this happens during a game the lad is being observed on then he’s gonna have a hard time explaining to the observer why he didn’t apply law correctly!

On your own it is nigh on impossible to spot encroachment by outfield players unless it is extremely blatant. Your priority HAS to be goal line, for keeper encroachment and ball over line, and the kicker to spot any feinting or double touch. Unless you have an extraordinarily wide vision, you just can't see if a player has stepped a yard or two into the box.

With neutral assistants you can leave keeper encroachment and ball over line to the AR, letting you focus on outfield encroachment and the ball. Which is feasible by standanding towards the side of the area mid way between the penalty spot and edge of area. Which is why I never unserstand it when referees tell ARs to leave keeper encroachment to them, you just can't watch the edge of the area, kicker and keeper all at the same time.

Back