A&H

penalty spot in a dip

happy whistler

Level 7 Referee
I have come across a few of these where there is shallow hole in pitch caused by marking of the spot. I have always allowed kick to be taken from either behind or next to spot. Am I OK to do this or does kick have to be taken from spot even if it means ball is in a dip.

The Referee Store
I wouldn't think anybody would even notice, a lot of games i do dont even have penalty spots (not when it gets to the third game on there in the rain)

It has to be on the mark. The area the ball can be put down is actually a lot larger than one might think if you follow the accepted convention. As long as any part of the ball overhangs any part of the spot, you are good to go.

Last edited:
This came up at one of our RA meetings. The guidance given wast he ball could in this situation be placed next to or behind the mark. The thinking being as long as the taker didn't get an advantage by the placement all was well.

This came up at one of our RA meetings. The guidance given wast he ball could in this situation be placed next to or behind the mark. The thinking being as long as the taker didn't get an advantage by the placement all was well.
That sounds like a sensible 'what football expects' approach

That sounds like a sensible 'what football expects' approach
Agreed. I'd worry that you're putting the penalty taker at unnecessary risk of injury by insisting they have to try and scoop it out of a divot, while also giving it enough force and direction to beat a keeper. Much more sensible to just move it back a few inches.

Its similar to say, allowing a kids keeper to take a goal kick when its windy and the balls blowing around like an empty crisp packet, you just adapt and of course, allow both teams the same leeway
Same as the pk spot, there is usually one person who will spout up with "the balls not on the spot" so a quick, "if your team get a pk they can take it from there too" should suffice

As a back stop to the problem Ciley mentions, you could always mention to captains before the match, that penalties at a one (or both) ends will be taken just behind the spot/mark.

Back