A&H

Penalty shootout question

Huskatta

Assuming a game went to penalties. Both teams score on their ten first penalties. Number 11 scores for team A, bringing the score to 11-10. The last player on team B knows that he is indeed a ****ty penalty taker, and so starts showing his finger to the referee and cursing at every other player, which will result in a red card. This all happens before he has taken his penalty. What is the proper course of action here? Surely team B should not get an advantage for abusing the current laws of the game (i.e. make both teams have an equal amount of players take a penalty in the shootout). But he cannot take the penalty if he is red-carded, and the ****tiest penalty-taker on team A has already done his job.

I am at loss as to what the right approach is. Input anyone?

The Referee Store
If I remember right, LOTG state that there only have to be an equal number of players at the start of the penalty shootout. I would take that to mean before they start kicking. This would mean that one of the other players on team B would have to take the eleventh kick to make the number of kicks equal. (This is all being said without the benefit of the LOTG to hand).

Yes, I agree. But how should you solve it if player 11 makes a mess and get red-carded?! Player 11 on team B can use the rules to his benefit as far as I see it, if he gets red-carded. Any player on team B is a better kicker, so how should this unfold on the next round if the worst kicker wants to get removed from taking the penalty?

If he gets red-carded, then he gets sent off and the next-in-line for his team takes the penalty.

The carded player will then, presumably, miss the the next two rounds of the competition because of suspension. Why would he do that when all he has to do is place the ball on the spot, and hit it as hard as he can at a target that is 12 yds away and covers an area that is 192 sq ft.

Its one of those things that just is, if that makes sense! He knows the implication of getting a red card. I would show him the red, and submit a misconduct report in addition to the red card report.

Its one of those things that just is, if that makes sense! He knows the implication of getting a red card. I would show him the red, and submit a misconduct report in addition to the red card report.

But technically that means that team B will actually have an advantage by getting a red card here. Because who is supposed to take the next penalty? It is not fair if their first shooter should get another shot at the penalty, as he is likely to be a far better kicker than team A´s 11th shooter... It is an unlikely scenario, but nonetheless a very plausible one. Who should take team B´s 11th penalty?

Anyone on Team B can take the penalty. The report would show what has happened and the local FA (or other competition organiser) could presumably take action if they felt that the outcome was unfair as a result. As a referee, you can only deal with the situation on the pitch, the competition organiser has to take the wider picture in hand.

Were this to happen, and Team A were knocked out as a result, I would make sure to suggest to Team A that they also complain to the competition organiser and would reassure them that my report would describe the sequence of what had happened.

Anyone on Team B can take the penalty. The report would show what has happened and the local FA (or other competition organiser) could presumably take action if they felt that the outcome was unfair as a result. As a referee, you can only deal with the situation on the pitch, the competition organiser has to take the wider picture in hand.

Were this to happen, and Team A were knocked out as a result, I would make sure to suggest to Team A that they also complain to the competition organiser and would reassure them that my report would describe the sequence of what had happened.

I agree with you. But I fail to see how a report is going to change anything. I guess my real issue is this: The current LOTG does not have specific guidelines in this specific question. They even have a regulation against heading the ball back to your own goal-keeper in order to avoid misuse of the regulation. I fail to see which one they have made for this situation.

Is it really going to happen? Really?

I's a hypothetical situation that is so unlikely to happen it does not need any mitigating action. In all honesty a player is more likley to suffer an injury rendering him unable to kick than get himself sent off because he can't take the kick.

But to extrapolate further, what does he gain? The best penalty taker takes it and equalises, but then the other team's best taker has a second go to put his side ahead again, and the team with ten now has their second best taker up against it. It really does not stand up.

Nope, not anyone form Team B is allowed to take it, the taker of Team B's first penalty will take the 11th penalty.

Once all kicks had been taken the next round of kicks can be taken in a new order?

Once all eligible players had taken a kick from the penalty mark, the same sequence does not have to be followed as in the first round of kicks.

I guess my real issue is this: The current LOTG does not have specific guidelines in this specific question. They even have a regulation against heading the ball back to your own goal-keeper in order to avoid misuse of the regulation. I fail to see which one they have made for this situation.

Without the good book to hand, I seem to remember there IS a clause somewhere that prevents the players 'twisting' the Laws in a way that is unsporting - the same clause that prevents the GK from simply bouncing the ball off a defenders head every 5 seconds to waste a bit of time.

There is also no need to get sent off to avoid taking a kick, an injury is enough and with no 7 player minimum rule at penalties what is to stop all your rubbish kickers developing serious and debilitating cramp? It is the kind of underhanded cheating which when reported may well cause a reversal of match result I would suspect, but hey.

Once all kicks had been taken the next round of kicks can be taken in a new order?

Once all eligible players had taken a kick from the penalty mark, the same sequence does not have to be followed as in the first round of kicks.

I stand corrected!

As the the player is sent off any other player may take the penalty provided that he is on the same team .

do you not reduce the number of kickers on Team A in line with Team B (i.e. number 11 A's kick is discounted)? this would seem the logical way and is probably the way I would deal with it... not right by Law I imagine, but right by the spirit of the game ;)

Back