A&H

Penalty Shoot out

jonnym6

Refereeing a cup game on sunday and just trying to check the rules for if it goes to a shoot out. It is an under 10 7-a-side game - I know it is 5 minutes extra time each way and then it says it would be penalties. Is it the same as adult football in that 5 penalties are taken and then sudden death?

The Referee Store
Refereeing a cup game on sunday and just trying to check the rules for if it goes to a shoot out. It is an under 10 7-a-side game - I know it is 5 minutes extra time each way and then it says it would be penalties. Is it the same as adult football in that 5 penalties are taken and then sudden death?
You need to ask the person who asked you to referee the game. They will know their own competition rules which might be different from other competitions.

I know it is 5 minutes extra time each way and then it says it would be penalties.
Where do you know this from? Use the same source for your other question. If it's a document and doesn't say anything about how penalties are taken then go with the LOTG.

Comp rules usually say: ... all accordance within IFAB laws of the games except...

Or for small sided games (7 a side) they might refer you to another document for small sided games.

Last edited:
You need to ask the person who asked you to referee the game. They will know their own competition rules which might be different from other competitions.

You would think that this would be the case however, I've had 2 games go to extra time this season and on both occasions the managers approached me at full time and ask "what happens now". This was in u18 games. I couldve said we do 'rock, scissors, paper' to decide and they'd have probably believed me.

You would think that this would be the case however, I've had 2 games go to extra time this season and on both occasions the managers approached me at full time and ask "what happens now". This was in u18 games. I couldve said we do 'rock, scissors, paper' to decide and they'd have probably believed me.

I think Brian means the fixtures secretary as to them knowing the rules.

I don't think I've had one match where both managers know the rules of the league/competition. As you said, I could ask them to play tiddly winks to decide who takes the first penalty kick and they wouldn't be none the wiser

I think Brian means the fixtures secretary as to them knowing the rules.

I don't think I've had one match where both managers know the rules of the league/competition. As you said, I could ask them to play tiddly winks to decide who takes the first penalty kick and they wouldn't be none the wiser

Yes I misread that this morning, thanks. I had it last year when it was peeing down and freezing in a vets game and it went to extra time, both captains asked if we could skip extra time and go straight to penalties!

Yep - managers are always the last people to ask about comp rules, knowing what's going on etc. The amount of times they must have completed team sheets, yet there is often something missing, like who is the captain, numbers!(Had that recently), physio etc etc etc!

On the fixture list it says 5mins each way for extra time and then follow fa rules for penalties. But I'm struggling to find a mention of shoot outs in junior football - this is under 10s.

On the fixture list it says 5mins each way for extra time and then follow fa rules for penalties.
What FA rules? If you're talking about the FA Handbook that contains the Rules of the Association, I don't think that's going to help. If you mean the IFAB's Laws of the Game, then you'll find what you want in Law 10 in the 'Kicks from the Penalty Mark' section.

Kicks from the Penalty Mark

For small sided/youth games your best bet if not specified in the competition rules is the FA website:

http://www.thefa.com/get-involved/player/youth

The match itself is mini soccer but as it’s ‘competition’ fixture I think you may need the standard rules of youth competitions.

10U finals here tomorrow. Two equal overtime periods and then PKs. Also, ask your assignor or league. Here we use golden goal in overtime.

Back