A&H

Penalty Re-takes

Josh the referee

Level 7 Referee
Really stupid question but guess that the way people explain/signal for it may be different.

How would you signal for a re-take of a penalty during a game after one has been taken? Does this differ when it comes to KFTPM?

The Referee Store
The LOTG says that no non-authorised signals should be used.

Right, now we've got that clear nonsense out of the way - if we need to signal that the a seeming goal does not count, after blowing the whistle I'd be throwing in a "cutting the grass" type gesture, arms crossed at the waist and then uncrossed a few times just to make it really clear that the goal isn't counting. Then after that, as others have suggested, point at the penalty spot, then explain to the offender why the retake is happening.

I find it strange that in the professional game at least 4 players seem to be in the penalty area before the kicker has hit the ball. The other day i did a freeze frame on a championship game and there were 9 players in the area before the ball was kicked!

I find it strange that in the professional game at least 4 players seem to be in the penalty area before the kicker has hit the ball. The other day i did a freeze frame on a championship game and there were 9 players in the area before the ball was kicked!
The guidance at senior levels is only penalise if the encroachment affects the outcome.

Once again the LOTG being bent to suit the pros!
Not just about pros, that guidance is also routinely used in the semi-pro game. They just need to amend the law to say encroachment needs to have an effect on the outcome. Why would an attacker being a centimetre inside the area when the penalty is scored have any relevance, whereas if it is saved and he scored the rebound then of course it should be penalised.

Not just about pros, that guidance is also routinely used in the semi-pro game. They just need to amend the law to say encroachment needs to have an effect on the outcome. Why would an attacker being a centimetre inside the area when the penalty is scored have any relevance, whereas if it is saved and he scored the rebound then of course it should be penalised.
I see the LOTG as a hierarchy - a bit like the forces when i was in.

If FIFA make the LOTG how can somebody lower down the pyramid make up their own interpretations? Who is in charge here?

FIFA doesn’t write the Laws, IFAB does. . .

While it is no longer in the magic book, the concept of trifling remains embedded in the spirit of the game and I. What football expects. The guidance on PK encroachment isn’t about ignoring the Laws, it is about understanding when the encroachment is something more than trifling and should be punished.

Back