A&H

Penalty kicks - law change ?

Hi all, I'm a bit confused on the current rules for penalty kicks. Specifically for encroachment offences. I've always thought the rule was that if a player from either side encroached into the area before the kick was taken, then the kick had to be retaken depending on whether the goal was scored or not and depending on which team was offending. On the FA & IFAB WEBSITES there's this extra bit about 'impact' of the encroachment that I've not seen before.

The first screenshot below is from the IFAB WEBSITE. Now here's where I get confused, on the IFAB APP (second screenshot below) there's no mention of the encroachment 'impact' rule. Is this something new and the app hasn't been updated ? We covered this on the course and I don't recall anything about the 'impact' being mentioned. It was just straight yes/no black and white answer.

P.S - What do we all make of Lewandowskis penalties? Should not be allowed IMO, he caused the goalie to be off his line by stopping in the game v France.

Screen Shot 2024-06-28 at 08.44.56.pngIFAB.jpeg

A&H International
The change is in the very latest law changes. You are looking at different versions of the laws.

Last edited:
For once, I beat @JamesL to the first reply 🤣

In regards to Lewandowskis's pen, it's legal in law. He paused in his penultimate step which is no issues. Had he paused after his final step before taking the kick then it would be an offence. Regardless of what our opinion of it is, we have to apply the law as written, especially when it is clearly stated.

For once, I beat @JamesL to the first reply 🤣

In regards to Lewandowskis's pen, it's legal in law. He paused in his penultimate step which is no issues. Had he paused after his final step before taking the kick then it would be an offence. Regardless of what our opinion of it is, we have to apply the law as written, especially when it is clearly stated.
He sort of stops, skips a step then kicks the ball. Is that not circumventing the law a bit ?

Nope. Feinting / stuttering in the run up is permitted. The only illegal action is to feint at the end of the run up, i e. The run up is completed.
I suppose it's quite clever what he does, his body is always moving so he gets away with it but there's a definite attempt to trick the goalie into thinking he's about to kick it. My point was that in the game v France it's the feint right at the end that causes the keeper to move off his line.

I'm not sure he is bending the rules. To bend the rules you have to do something that's kind of not permitted or be interpreted in a way to suit the situation.

This is just simply permitted. I think controversial, maybe? Spirit of the penalty laws, maybe not and perhaps one day will change but for now it's straight up all ok.

Back