A&H

Penalty Incident Villa vs Newcastle

lukewilson

Level 7 Referee
What were people's thoughts on the penalty against Lacselles last weekend for handball?

No yellow card or red card but would anyone have given one had it been them? Denial of an obvious goal let alone an opportunity vs accidental, a penalty enough? If it had been given without VAR at a lower level would you have expected a card?

Interested to hear your thoughts!

The Referee Store
Wow he didn't give a yellow? I don't even know what to say there.

Handling that stops a shot on goal is SPA/yellow card. They give them to players in the wall who stop a shot from 25 yards away so to not give one on a borderline DOG-H example is just incorrect.

Wow he didn't give a yellow? I don't even know what to say there.

Handling that stops a shot on goal is SPA/yellow card. They give them to players in the wall who stop a shot from 25 yards away so to not give one on a borderline DOG-H example is just incorrect.
No yellow!

Thought it may have been because the ref thought, as no one in the ground really claimed for it, it may have been too harsh to send him off? I was watching at home and if it doesn't hit his arm it goes in!

A yellow and a pen fair enough? (Even though that isn't what he gave) Or would you have sent him off?

No yellow!

Thought it may have been because the ref thought, as no one in the ground really claimed for it, it may have been too harsh to send him off? I was watching at home and if it doesn't hit his arm it goes in!

A yellow and a pen fair enough? (Even though that isn't what he gave) Or would you have sent him off?

If, ITOOTR, the ball was going into the goal but for the handling, it should be DOGSO sendoff. There is no DOGSO downgrade for handling.

If, ITOOTR, it wasn't clear if it would go in or be saved, but was a shot, it should be a caution for SPA.

I think it's fairly likely that was going to be a goal but there's enough doubt for me to just go yellow. But to not give any card there is actually a pretty surprising outcome.

We see it from time to time. Referee shows leniency because the punishment and crime are already mismatched. It's an 'Act of God' that the ball struck the hand because the player was moving dynamically and the ball was close. Atkinson knew 'football expected' the PK an he therefore had to give it, but his heart wasn't with the decision so he naturally showed leniency and an error in Law by not showing a card
Anyway, the main controversy in the game, was the leniency shown to the Villa keeper for clattering Wilson at head height
Coote was VAR for the game. Coote was also Ref in Newcastle's next game (Gillet VAR) in which the controversial stuff went against the same team
If Man C had been involved, it would've been incendiary stuff
I am a fan (of EPL football to a lessening extent), but I'm balanced enough to say that we've actually been fairly lucky with VAR until the start of this season. What goes around, comes around and we've been overdue a couple of 'bad hands'. Hoping Coote won't be dealing at our table again this weekend, cos I'm paying a very rare visit to St James Park, so hoping our luck turns!

Back