A&H

Ladies Penalising 6 seconds without a warning

@Padfoot sadly you are fundamentally wrong in law on this point.

You cannot be cautioning for this as it is a handling 'offence' by the goalkeeper within their penalty area hence no sanction can be given to him as punishment.

I'm not cautioning for the handling offence......I'm cautioning for the lack of respect to the game.......if they don't like it....appeal it.

If players want to take the piss on my pitch.....they can deal with the consequences!

The Referee Store
I think that it is worth considering why the "6 second" law exists.

As has been alluded to above it is essentially to replace the "delays the re-start" caution clarifying that the keeper is not allowed to hold onto the ball to waste time even though he is doing nothing else wrong within the laws. So if you feel that it is correct to penalise the keeper without any sort of word of warning, would you feel equally comfortable cautioning a player for taking a few extra seconds over a throw-in without having given any sort of prior warning? I think the two situations are analogous and so would always tell the keeper to hurry up at 4 or 5 seconds just as I would tell a player to get on with a throw in. If it was the second or third time that I had to tell a team to get on with a throw, or to tell a keeper to get on with a kick I would caution without a warning, but not the first time.

For the "6 second" contravention I can see no reason to caution. The IDFK is the punishment and any talk of cautioning for "lack of respect for the game" seems very over the top - it could equally apply to, for instance, a player taking the ball into the corner to kill a few seconds, yes they are doing nothing wrong within the laws but they are showing a similar "lack of respect" by wasting time and so by the argument of the "cautioners" should be punished.

I'm not cautioning for the handling offence......I'm cautioning for the lack of respect to the game.......if they don't like it....appeal it.

If players want to take the piss on my pitch.....they can deal with the consequences!

Umm, what are you talking about? Lack of respect for the game? Huh? How is breaking the 6 second rule cautionable, by any stretch of the imagination?? It's a minor technical infringement, and the IFK is more than sufficient punishment. Not only is there no justification whatsoever by the spirit of the game for a caution, it's also completely against the laws.

I can only presume that you caution for every single foul, given that each foul shows just as much disrespect for the game as this one does.

Lack of respect for the game? Now I've heard everything!!! :p

I also find it quite bizarre how many people don't understand what 'handling related offence is'. Just because the code is USB doesn't mean it isn't handling related!!!

Last edited:
I would always say "get a move on keeper!!" if it's clear he is stalling for time. Give him a few more seconds then IDFK no caution.

For me, this is a case of game management.

Yes, the players should know the rules, but it's long been established that they don't. I'll usually shout something along the lines of "come on keeper, keep it moving". If they don't play on after that, they deserve everything they get. All depends on style though, I always try to do that, some refs don't.

There's some very solid advice for the OP in this post, which everyone should take note of. One of the first things you learn when training as a ref is "no surprises", and in this case it is universally accepted that a quick shout to the keeper is perfectly normal, and no player will really moan about it.

It's being proactive and will, in 99.9% of cases, never cause a problem for either team. Maybe the OP was correct in law, but he wouldn't have been incorrect in law to have just shouted a warning first. And that is the point.

There are no surprises for a free kick at a high level game when a keeper holds the ball for over 10 seconds. Particularly when it is obvious that she is doing it deliberately. There are only excuses (other refs warn first).

At that level we are not there to coach them. If a keeper is about to pick up a ball from a pass by his defender we don't shout "don't pick it up". Telling the keeper to hurry it along for 6 seconds is not much different. Its even worse when she is deliberately trying to waste time. It denies the opposition a free kick they deserve.

There is a difference in being proactive in game management and putting the opposing team in a disadvantageous position.

At restarts (goal kicks, throw ins) its a little different as the opposition is not going to get the restart. Even then I only warn once and if done deliberately the next one is a caution.

The OP is NOT a caution.

I have just spent several minutes cleaning this thread, issuing warnings and deleting posts.

Please stay on topic. Do not reply to off topic posts. Either ignore it or report it, don't respond!

The comments within the deleted posts were, quite simply, pathetic! The actual thread is, I feel, a good topic of discussion...but let's keep it that way! No abusive posts, no name-calling and no stupidity. Final warning for this thread before the plug is pulled!

@Padfoot sadly you are fundamentally wrong in law on this point.

You cannot be cautioning for this as it is a handling 'offence' by the goalkeeper within their penalty area hence no sanction can be given to him as punishment.
Or her as the case may be

Oh dear.....what a lenient bunch we have here.....

The GK has held onto ball longer than 6 seconds clearly to allow the time to run down......yes the sanction of the 6 seconds transgression is an IDFK......however they have also acted in a manner which shows a lack of respect for the game.....which is a USB caution.....

You probably wouldn't caution in the 10th minute with the scores 0-0 but in the final 10 minutes with the GKs team holding a slender lead.......and you feel that they are deliberately delaying releasing the ball........nailed on caution.

And why do you think 'time wasting' was put into quote marks?
I disagree @Padfoot It's a technical offence, much the same as controlling the ball with the hands after it is deliberately kicked, from own team throw-in or even offside perhaps.

As far as the original incident is concerned this is a clear case of no surprises. If I was one of the white team I might be thinking that this was a vindictive action by the referee. As referee, I would have been alert to this happening earlier in the game as it almost certainly did, warned at that stage, warned on the next occasion and then gone for the big "look at me I know the law" moment. That's not meant as a derogatory comment but sometimes as referees we focus entirely on the law and demonstrating our knowledge rather than managing an incident earlier in the game which is more appropriate considering the circumstances.

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree @Padfoot It's a technical offence, much the same as controlling the ball with the hands after it is deliberately kicked, from own team throw-in or even offside perhaps.

As far as the original incident is concerned this is a clear case of no surprises. If I was one of the white team I might be thinking that this was a vindictive action by the referee. As referee, I would have been alert to this happening earlier in the game as it almost certainly did, warned at that stage, warned on the next occasion and then gone for the big "look at me I know the law" moment. That's not meant as a derogatory comment but sometimes as referees we focus entirely on the law and demonstrating our knowledge rather than managing an incident earlier in the game which is more appropriate considering the circumstances.

Yes, and the technical offence has been penalised with the IDFK......unfortunately it leaves the small matter of the GK knowingly taking the piss which is dealt with by way of the caution........

So now the caution is for dissent, not USB-Lack of respect for the game-trick ? :rolleyes:

@Padfoot time wasting can be done legally and intentionally. Defenders playing among themselves in the back, GK keeping the ball at her feet, forwards keeping the ball in opposition corner or defenders kicking a long ball out near the opposition corner. Where is the illegal time wasting here? The GK is entitled to hold the ball for 6 seconds. After that the referee blows the whistle and the opposition gets the ball. Intentions is the same in all above cases. If you caution for USB for one, then you should for all the others.

Back