A&H

Pen shoot out

A&H International
Saw this video on Facebook...
Lots of comments suggesting goal.
My understanding, in a penalty shoot out, it's not a goal.

??
A penalty is complete when the ball goes out of play, stops moving or the referee stops play for an offence.
I want to say that law changed specifically to be clear that the goal stands in these scenarios. Would have to go digging to confirm but certainly nothing to suggest it's not a goal in a shootout.
Law 10 for reference

That’s definitely a goal. I can’t remember which game but I definitely remember seeing this sort of thing happen before, where a goal was (correctly) awarded. As James said, Law 10 covers this.

??
A penalty is complete when the ball goes out of play, stops moving or the referee stops play for an offence.
I want to say that law changed specifically to be clear that the goal stands in these scenarios. Would have to go digging to confirm but certainly nothing to suggest it's not a goal in a shootout.
Law 10 for reference
If I'm being technical here. The keeper does technically stop the ball. He does grab it and let's it go immediately and, unfortunately, into the goal.
That's why I'm thinking it shouldn't be a goal.

If I'm being technical here. The keeper does technically stop the ball. He does grab it and let's it go immediately and, unfortunately, into the goal.
That's why I'm thinking it shouldn't be a goal.
The referee didn't signal an offence, the ball didn't stop moving and it didn't go out of play. So what do you think supports it not being a goal?

I know we’re talking about a different sport, and I’m sort of stepping outside of the law here also, but as another angle, would you consider that to be a catch if it happened in a cricket match? Pretty sure that would be given not out as he didn’t ever have control of the ball before releasing it.
It definitely counts as scored.

Back